Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cooler/ Fan?

mifuneaxie

Reaction score
I have a fan on my tank right now (don't worry, no Axolotl yet cause I want the temperature right) and it seems to be staying at a steady 69 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this too hot for an Axolotl? I read all the pages on the axolotls.org and it says it should be between 60 and 64. But it also says that it shouldn't be above 75, so can it be 69?

Also, if this is too warm, does anyone know where I can get a aquarium chiller? I heard chillers are really expensive, anyone know a cheap efficient chiller?

Any other ideas to get the temp. cooler? Ice, and frozen bottles seems like a lot of work. Once it's winter here I'm sure it will be easier to maintain.

Thanks!!!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you can keep it at 69 in summer, and colder than that in winter, your axolotl will be fine. My axies are at around 72F in the hottest part of summer, and around 38F in the coldest part of winter, and they've been doing great since 2005.

It's smart that you don't want to rely on ice and frozen bottles; these are a pain in the neck. It takes super-human dedication to use these methods consistently every day all summer.

This page has a variety of cooling methods. All of the methods shown are cheaper than a chiller, but some require some serious DIY ability:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!