Courting-axolotls

jeangenie149

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Jean
I chose my axolols for my mothers day present in March and the were just over 4 inches (11cm). Now they are about 7 1/2 inches (18-19cm), the male has matured, so discovered I have a male and female and they will possibly breed in the future. This is such a wonderful site, filled with valueble information of the care, health and breeding of axolotls, but what I want to know is, is there any way I can tell the signs when they will mate, i.e. courting dance etc. as I want to be ready for the babies. I have read about BBS, but don't want to start this proceedure until nearer the time. Thank you for any advice.

"Spawning is initiated by the male, who swims around, raising its tail and making vigorous writhing motions. The male nudges the female's vent occasionally and then leads her around the tank."

That is an excerpt taken from the Breeding page on axolotl.org

The male will leave spermatophores for the female to pick up, within a couple of days after this she will lay eggs. Depending on the water temperature you keep the eggs at they will take about 2 weeks to hatch, so you will have at least that long to sort out the micro-foods for the larvae.

Thank you for your quick replies. There is so much to learn and I have been reading up so much lately on axolotls that I must read everything again carefully....

I had forgotten the most important bit. I will re-read all the breeding pages..

I just want to be ready.....Thanks again :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back