Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

hello everyone

tiggae1980

Reaction score
my name is saskia and im an architect from germany. my partner is from the states. we have a few newts & salamanders and planning on expending our lil family soon :D

tiggae1980

Reaction score
we have smooth newts, alpine newts, chinese fire belly newts, a fire salamander and a crocodile newt:D

Critter Mom

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! Nice to meet you. :)

I have a Chinese firebelly newt too. You sound like you already have quite a collection started. I love looking at pictures and I know a lot of others do too. If you get the chance, it would be nice if you would post pictures of your caudates.

Hope to see more of you around,
Critter Mom

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
That´s a nice collection, i expect you are acquainted with german laws.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Well, because you keep native species, which are protected and ilegal to catch/maintain unless they are CB and have their proper papers(you have to sign them up or something like that).
It´s very common for beginners to ignore local laws, i just wanted to make sure you knew about them.

tiggae1980

Reaction score
i do know that. we helped someone from teh natural environment guys to catch them , because the area where they lived wont be there anymore. so he moved them to other places. since they were on american ground they didnt have to follow the laws like we have, where we would have not been able to move them anywhere else. So he asked us if we wanted to keep some and provided us with the papers and everything to thank us for our help. Glad you were concerned though:D

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
So they are wild caught animals. That sounds awfully irregular to me...
The papers as far as i know apply to captive bred animals, not to wild caught, since wild caught are ilegal to catch and keep in all circumstances. What kind of papers do you have?
The way i understood you, it sounds like the guy forged papers for wild caught animals...which is just wrong and necessarily ilegal.
I hope someone from germany can chime in and help clarify the possibility of them being legal...to me it sounds, improbable...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1