Paddle tail newt dilemma

aprile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Aprile
Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I have a question from my 11-year old son. As of yesterday, he had two paddle tail newts. This morning, he noticed the smaller one is missing. We basically looked everywhere and cannot find him. I feel the larger one looks even larger today. We were under the impression you could not mix species, but that the same species was okay to house in the same tank. They had separate areas to hide, etc. Looked under the little car and cave, looked everywhere in the room because we know they can escape. Can anyone offer their suggestions? Also, if escaped and out for the evening, how long can they survive outside of the water? Thanks!
Aprile

Predation is only a possibility if there was a substantial difference in size.
Paddletails are territorial and agressive, and some individuals cannot be housed with members of their own species, cause they will fight until one gets killed. Normally it doesn´t come to such extremes....but milder agression is almost the norm.

They dry out pretty quick, but if the newt found a humid place it may stil be alive. It´s usually adviced to placed moist towels around the floors or even plates with water. If the animal is alive it will seek moisture in them.

In the future make sure the lid is absolutely escape proof. They are escape artists.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for your response back & Ideas. We will place the plate of water on the floor, and see what happens. We have pretty much scoped out the room, but you never know! The larger newt looks bigger, but the smaller one wasn't all that much smaller than him. Hmmmm..... I really hope he didn't fight with him & eat him. :sad: We will close up all open areas. Thanks gain for all of your kind advice. Aprile

I've moved this thread here, as its a more appropriate home for it.

Escaped newts can squeeze into small gaps, so make sure to check behind furniture, and in adjacent rooms too, as they will crawl quite far before they dry out.

Hope you find it

Chris

I've moved this thread here, as its a more appropriate home for it.

Escaped newts can squeeze into small gaps, so make sure to check behind furniture, and in adjacent rooms too, as they will crawl quite far before they dry out.

Hope you find it

Chris

Thanks so much Chris ~ will do! Aprile

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back