My tank - Anything else?

mifuneaxie

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my tank so far, I was just curious if anybody has any suggestions or concerns before I get an Axolotl.

The plant down on the left side is Anubias Barteri, and on the right is Java fern (tied to rocks with fishing line). I have a pretty good filter going on the right side, as well as a fan to keep it cool. The sand has been thoroughly washed (play sand), and the rocks have be scrubbed and rinsed well (mostly river rocks). The tank has been set up for a couple of days, and I just added the plants yesterday. I have also added Ph down because my Ph was a little high. When I add new water, I have a decholorinator ready to be added. I also have a turkey baster to suck stuff out and a siphon for water changes and cleaning.

Please let me know if anything is wrong, or if this will be suitable for an Axolotl! I was planning to get one next Tuesday if everything goes well! (My tank would be cycling for about a week and four days by then, is that good?).

I want to make sure everything is right because I am a first time owner!

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Full Cage View - July 19, 09.jpg
    Full Cage View - July 19, 09.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 181
Everthing looks great. On the cycling it is recomended that you cycle for about 30 days. I personally couldnt wait and cycled for two weeks, and my axolotl has been doing great for 3 weeks. So i guess its all about how tough your axolotl is, and just how daring you are. But im sure many people will say, it is not recomended.

Exactly why do you have to cycle that long? Is it to get the water clean? What is the least amount of time you can cycle and what happens if you don't for that long (they die?!)?

I will try to find a helpful post for you that really helped me learn. It is pretty much to establish bacteria in your water and filter that will fight off harmful things in your water like nitrite, nitrate and amonia.

Thanks for helping! How can bacteria get established if I don't have an Axolotl to help it get started? Also, on axolotl.org he said that he doesn't wait for cycling and just cleans the tank daily for two weeks instead, what would this consist of? Changing the water 20% and sucking stuff out?

Sorry for so many questions, and thanks for helping!

Thanks! That really helped! I think I understand way better now!

Though I still had one question. If you keep Axolotls in an uncycled tank, doing 20% water changes every day, and the ammonia and nitrites are a little high throughout this process, do you risk killing the axolotls? By doing the 20% water changes every day, this makes sure that the ammonia and nitrite levels don't get high, right? Then how do you know when the tank is cycled and won't need the daily 20% water changes and only the weekly change? Do you back off the daily water change slowly after about two weeks, and then move to every other day until you get to weekly changes?

Thanks!

Yes i think daily water changes will work althought i am not positive. If you want to start cycling all you need is a couple of cheap guppies or something. You just need something....pooping or creating amonia i believe to get the bacteria eating etc.

So with the fish creating the bacteria, I will want to do 20% water changes daily, for the fish? And when I get an axolotl I will still need to do the 20% changes daily for about two weeks, and then ween off the daily changes and into weekly changes? Okay, I think I got it now. Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!

The fish are for a lack of a better word disposable, and only there to prep the water for your axie. You just need something in there to start establishing bacteria. Daily water changes from what i read are what you need to do, but i have no experience in this so i cant really recomend it. From what i have read it would be your best option i think. Good luck with your new great pet and your tank looks great by the way.

Also just checking, what are you using for substrate? It is kind of hard to see. Axies will snatch at their food and sometimes gather more than just the food. Small pebbles can cause problems if eaten, but sand is easier for them to digest and spit out. Just checking cause i wasnt sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I can't wait for an Axolotl. I'm using sand (play sand) and I've washed it thoroughly. There are no small rocks for the axolotl to swallow! Thanks again!

You may also be able to use pure ammonia (with no surfactants, scents, etc.; often found at hardware stores) as an ammonia source, or other decaying matter (i.e. a small piece of shrimp). I used pure ammonia to cycle my tank...my axolotls have been living in it for a week now and don't seem to be experiencing any problems; my water stats have remained quite constant during this first week, which gives me the impression that the bacteria that grew when I cycled are able to handle the load.

Make sure you have a testing kit to check the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels in your tank and write them down so you can keep track of the cycling progress. My tank is 10gal, and it took around 2 or 3 weeks to cycle (though this may be shorter than the norm). I personally would recommend cycling it so you don't have to worry about stressing your axie if they're the ones generating the ammonia for the bacteria. I chose not to use fish because I didn't want to risk the fish harboring anything harmful that might get into the tank and later affect the axolotls, but I am a bit over-cautious sometimes. (And also because I didn't want to keep having to run to the pet store if the fish kept dying during the cycling process.)
You will also want to monitor the pH (as it seems you have been), since changing ammonia levels can affect the pH and quick pH changes will be stressful to the axolotls.

If you use pure ammonia, you'll want to use your water tests to find out how much you're adding, since it comes in different concentrations. Often you won't need more than a teaspoon per add, or if it's very concentrated, 3-5 drops.

If you go with the non-cycling, changing water once you put the axolotl in option, 20% water changes every day for two weeks and then slowly weaning off sounds reasonable, though obviously I've never done this myself. I would definitely take advantage of water tests on a daily basis to make sure the ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate levels are not getting too high for the axolotl. (If you haven't bought your tests yet -- try to find liquid tests. I had strips for a while when I was cycling and then switched to liquid tests. The liquid ones are much easier to read and you can tell much more clearly how your water is doing. I had this problem with the strips... "Is the nitrate 20ppm? Or 60?" You have to wait longer for them to develop, and it takes a bit more work, but it's definitely worth it. Usually the liquid tests are cheaper per test as well.)
This option sounds more feasible for you than it might be for others because you're only getting one axolotl (generating less waste) and your tank looks plenty large for one axolotl. (I think -- what size is it?) Just a guess, though. I don't have as much experience as many of the people on this site, who will be able to give you tons of advice from years of firsthand experience.

THat tank looks pretty awesome mate, an axolotl or two would love that tank as their home!. With the whole cycling thing, dont worry too much about it.. i only cycled mine for two weeks and then did weekly 25% water changes

and my two axolotyls AND goldfish ( same tank ) are doing great! its been three months !

also i love that u are using sand, i unforunately used small gravel and ALOT of it! $50 worth so definately not changing to sand... gravel has its pros and cons aswells as sand. u will find that plants might be harder to 'bury' in sand but if ur using java ferns... WHICH I CANT FIND HERE IN SYDNEY lol, then thats fine mate. Good thing with sand is that u dont really have to hand feed them if u dont want to, since digesting sand wont do any harm. With mine since i got gravel, i have to hand feed every second night lol, but its all fun. Make sure u got something for them to hide in away from the light!

Thanks for the responses. I find it really helpful to get information from different people so I can see who has had different experiences! Thanks, I really appreciate it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back