Question: How many axoltls can i keep in my new tank?

bowser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people, I am very new to these creatures but I think they look, well, cute, so I have gone and got a tank. It's only 2 X 1 X 1 but that's all I have the room for, because I already have a 4foot vivarium for my beardy, and a 25gal tank for my tropical fish, and I live at my girlfriends house (don't want her mother to get to angry with me filling the house with creatures).

So my questions are...

1. How many babys could a 2 X 1 X 1 tank hold? (please say 2. I don't want 1 to get lonely)
  2. I have large pebbles around 1" in diameter for substrate - is this ok?
  3. I have a Fluval U1 filter - this is ok isn't it?
  4. Where the tank is it is quite dark but I have brought some small stick on LED lights, will they be too bright for them? Or don't they mind being in the dark?

Last edited by a moderator:
I reccomend 0.

You are living at your girlfriends parents house. If you even suspect that her mother MIGHT be SLIGHTLY annoyed with your "critters" than don't buy more.

LOL not helpful :rolleyes:

But my girlfriend wants them aswell so we are fine to have them :lick:

Even still your tank sounds to small for 2. I've only ever owned Oregon newts, but I think these guys are about the same size + tempermant. Your tank sounds like it would be pretty cramped with 2.

Hi people, I am very new to these creatures but i think they look well cute so i have gone and got me a tank its only 2 X 1 X 1 but thats all i have the room for, cuz i already have a 4foot vivarium for my beardy and a 25gal tank for my tropical fish and i live at my girlfriends house (dont want her mother to get to angry with me filling the house with creatures)

So my questions are...

1. How many babys could a 2 X 1 X 1 tank hold? (plz say 2 i dont want 1 to get lonely)
  2. I have large pebbles around 1" in diameter for substrate is this ok?
  3. I have a Fluval U1 filter this is ok aint it?
  4. Where the tank is it is quite dark but i have brought some small stick on LED lights, will they be to bright for them? or dont they mind being in the dark?

Hi Bowser

1)I would be inclined to say just one - I mean, that baby is going to get bigger and could end up being 12 inches long...don't worry about loneliness - axies are solitary creatures - they do not get lonely annd your new axie would rather have the space all to himself :happy:.

2)LOL, I can't find my tape measure and am not very good at estimating size/proportion, so can't quite visualise how big 1 inch is - you want the pebbles to roughly be the size of your axie's head or bigger - alternately, bare bottomed tanks or sand as substrate will work.

3)I'm not familiar with this filter - basically the key is trying to have the calmest tank water possible, as the water flow can stress your lotl - you can assist with this by using a spray bar or positioning stones, etc, under the output, to reduce the flow.

4)Axies don't have eyelids, so they LOVE the dark - my tank lights are only on for two hours a day and there are loads of hides in the tank, but my axie still manages to look furious when they come on.

Zoe x

First of all you need to have a good look around the site to gather as much information as you can about keeping axolotls.

Reading through the links below will give you a start.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_mexicanum.shtml

http://www.axolotl.org/

A two foot tank is only big enough for one adult axolotl. If you plan to get younger axies you could fit two in, but then you would very soon have to upgrade to a larger tank.

1" gravel is OK for very small axolotls, but not for larger ones. Also gravel is a total pain because all dirt gets caught between the stones and trapped there.

Have a look at this link for details into how to cycle your tank, I wrote out in simple terms the cycling process. Cycling your tank is a VERY important part of keeping an axolotl, they are very sensitive to poor water quality.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62556

Axolotls don't like light. They are most active at dawn and dusk and through the night. They have no eyelids so they will get stressed in bright lights. If you have lights on the tank make sure the axolotl has plenty of hiding places away from the light.

Last edited:
Aww its sad to hear we can only have one in that size tank but we are very excited to be owning one soon.

As for 'NewGuys' comment we are not teenagers, we all share responsibility in our house and we are all looking forward to having an axolotl.

Thanks for your comment to Zoe, yes the pebbles are quite large so I'm guessing they will be ok, if not we will look into and different substrate. :)

This website has given us loads of information so thank you for responding.

h31d1

Sorry,

I DID assume you were a youngster. My bad. :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back