Hello

Biscuit Oliva

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
OLI
Hey folks ive always wanted to join a group of people who loves salamanders and newts as much as i do.I currently am tyring to breed my fire salamanders and my spanish ribbed to which ive done before about 7 years ago everything went well but i just gave them away to a local pet store.

I wasnt aware at the time of the high demand but low success of actually obtaining a newt or salamander in NYC.I had no internet lol.But now that i do im ona quest for a serious breed project they say fire salamanders are hard to breed but im gonna change that iknow it sounds a bit big headed but ive had succes breeding spanish ribbed newts, fire belly netws, jack dempsys,and even an oscar.I currently still have the mother in my house she 11 years old lol.

Currently im setting up my tank for the fire salamanders ive recently ordered its one of my older tanks that used to house my cichilids its a 90 gallon surfline.maybe too big but im not doing anything else with it.

I don't think fire salamanders are hard to breed - they pretty much do it on their own. If only other species were so obliging. Welcome to the forum Oli.

Indeed they are not difficult at all. Neither are Pleurodeles and Cynops.
You shouldn´t have much trouble as long as you follow their basic requirements.
On a side note...why do i have the feeling the salamanders you ordered are going to be WC....?
If that´s the case you should know they are ilegally collected here in Europe, therefore purchasing them promotes more illegal smuggling(and they are protected here, for very good reasons). Also it really is not your best option, as WC Salamandra are prone to diseases. There are breeders in the US, it shouldn´t be difficult to find CB animals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back