Question: Weird behaviour from axolotl

sparrowmayhem

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Nathan
Hi there,

My axolotl has just laid her first batch of eggs (120 odd of them), and since she stopped laying she hasn't stopped moving around the tank - swimming, walking around a lot... sometimes frantically.

Is this normal behaviour?
I have covered the tank so movement outside the tank and the light didn't disturb her but she is still carrying on with the same behaviour.

Thanks for any help :D

What are your water parameters? Nitrite, ammonia, and nitrate? How warm is the tank? What are you feeding?

Parameters are all normal.
The tank is approx 18 degrees celicus and she eats bloodworm and axolotl pellets.

When mine was laying eggs she seemed frantic too, its possible she may still be laying more. It is a good idea to cover the tank, try not to disturb her too much. Keep us posted on how she is doing.

She settled down... she sure did have more eggs! Lol.
She stopped laying after about 5 hours, then proceeded to lay another 100 eggs, just over 200 in total :cool:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back