Question: How many axalotls will my tank hold?

scrappa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Drew
:confused:my tank is 24inches x 14inches x 14inches will this hold 2?? i hope so but 1 is fine if not please answer.:confused:

:Dim also hoping to get 1 golden albino and 1 wild type :D if not i have no idea what colours mabye give me some suggestions and im going to use sand as a substrate and will my fluval 105 filter be fine with a spray bar and power set to around half?? also do i need to have much lighting??

There are a few very similar threads posted recently about this, have a look around and read a few posts, you might find just the answers you are seeking!

Good luck on getting your new member of the family.

I would say that size tank would be fine for 2 juveniles but definently not for 2 adults. I have 2 juveniles in a similar size tank but as soon as they start getting bigger i will be upgrading the tank size to ensure they retain plenty of space.

With regards to lighting, axolotls dont have eyelids so they are sensitive to light so adding extra lighting is not a necessity unless your planning on having live plants in your tank. I only have fake plants so i dont use added lighting but if you have a search theres lots of threads regarding the use of lighting for plants and on filters :)

Hi Scrappa, welcome to the board. I recently set up a 2ft tank and bought a wild type and a golden type axolotl. I think they would have been happy to stay in there but I still wanted a leucistic (white with black eyes and pink gills) too, so I upgraded the axie tank to 3ft with a view to keeping 3. I would be interested to know if anyone keeps 2 full grown axies in a 2ft tank though.

Your filter arrangement sounds fine to me, you seem to have already done some good research there.

As Kerry says, there are lots of similar threads on these boards filled with excellent advice. Reading through them is enlightening and entertaining.

Im not sure about the two foot tank, but a 20gal long tank is 30x12x12 and this should hold at least two. They can be picked up relatively cheap also.

Mark

okay thanks i read the WHOLE axolotl.org website last night lol it says 18inches is fine for 2 adult???? seems a bit cramped but it says thats what any hobbyist would say?? but i will keep a single axolotl for a while and then mabye introduce another when i upgrade? is this a good idea or not?

Im not sure about the two foot tank, but a 20gal long tank is 30x12x12 and this should hold at least two. They can be picked up relatively cheap also.

Mark

My tank is 85litres so in uk gallons thats 19 gallons will this be fine my tank is quite deep so it holds alot of water.

Maybe if i put some stones piled up on top each other they could climb them then giving them more room than most tanks of my dimensions??

Here is a pic of the difference i dont think it seems that big really and 30" would really be the biggest i would ever get on my cabinet lol and no room for another

Attachments

• setup2.jpg
    setup2.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 4,955
Last edited:
I wouldn't put any more than 1 adult axolotl in that tank.

'Deep' has nothing to do with how much water it can hold. 19 gallons is 19 gallons, whether it's 12 inches deep or 2. Axolotls require a lot of floor space. Having a tall aquarium is a waste of space when it comes to axies.

Adding piles of gravel is bad. For starters, that gravel is an inappropriate size for axolotls. It can be swallowed, leading to impaction and ultimately death. For two, piles of gravel will just trap debris and take away from water volume.

You've also provided no hides for your axolotl, and have a fairly bright light. This will stress your animal, leading to illness. And get rid of the heater. You won't need it.

I agree with Kaysie they really hate light, just shine a torch at them and see what happens.
Hidey holes are very important you can use anything like a pot turned on it side or some type of pipe. I dont even use gravel, its too much bother to clean and traps rubbush. if I did I'd use some larger pebbles for decoration as they're easier to clean too. Ive posted some pics of my tank. Some people say the slippery glass stresses axies out but mine seem perfectly healthy and they have other things they can walk on like rocks and plants,

Attachments

• My tank 1 s.jpg
    My tank 1 s.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 617
  • My tank 2 s.jpg
    My tank 2 s.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 535
I wouldn't put any more than 1 adult axolotl in that tank.

'Deep' has nothing to do with how much water it can hold. 19 gallons is 19 gallons, whether it's 12 inches deep or 2. Axolotls require a lot of floor space. Having a tall aquarium is a waste of space when it comes to axies.

Adding piles of gravel is bad. For starters, that gravel is an inappropriate size for axolotls. It can be swallowed, leading to impaction and ultimately death. For two, piles of gravel will just trap debris and take away from water volume.

You've also provided no hides for your axolotl, and have a fairly bright light. This will stress your animal, leading to illness. And get rid of the heater. You won't need it.

Ok i have given my tank a radical make over.
This is how it looks now and my axolotl aztec seems settled enough because his gills are pointing out not curled and their quite big at the moment but time will tell if he is happy and i am installing a spray bar later today.

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 327
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 331
Hi Scrappa

In regards to the size of the tank, really, if you have two axies, you need at least 3-4 hides for them - in a smaller tank, there may not be room for these.

Zoe x

Okay.
I am buying a large log anyway soon. I already have 2 hides which is in the granite rocks and the coconut shell. I will buy a hollow log soon though.

And please tell me how it looks :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I think one or two hides is fine I have 2 axolotls in my tank it only about less that 2 feet however the largest one is only 20cm long, keeping them well fed goes a long way to reducing aggression as well.

Your tank looks nice, maybe you could have some taller plants it would look better and give somewhere the axolotls can land when they gulp air and well as provide some cover . I use plastic plants. It good you got rid of the light and heater its really not necessary.

hello zolotl,

Yeah i was going to get rid of lights and heater but in the winter the temperature in south west england reaches less than 0 sometimes in very cold winters but normally about 5-10 so i am going to keep set to 20 which is lowest and is not plugged in but will remain in tank and if it gets cold in winter i will plug in to raise it a bit for aztec :cool:

Yeah that should be ok just don't let it go above 20 degrees as that about the maximum they like. My water temp here is about 13 at the moment so quite cold and I feeding them every 2 or 3 days.

Arent you in summer at the moment? I dont think that your will need the heater at the moment if anything youll probably be trying to keep it cool. What kind of filteration are you using? Im using a corner box filter at the moment but I just bought a small power filter with sponge and charcoal for a maximum 60 litre tank it has adjustable setting for surface spray, underwater bubbling or jet stream Im not sure if the axies will like it or not.
Ive got 2 axies in that tank in my pic ones 20cm, so I might have to switch to bigger tank if they both get 30cm.

Hi zolotl,

I am using a fluval 105 filter with full power with a spray bar so the current is VERY weak as so my axolotl aztec is happy.

But my temperature is 22c and im getting worried and i have no frozen salt water at the moment :(

I really hope it cools down soon he doesnt look happy anymore because of the temperature any ideas how to cool it down on sort notice???

I only got him yesterday :( and he is my first axolotl.

Heres an article that has some ideas http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

I would probably use ice, maybe moving the tank to a cooler location, or if it get really bad he can hibernate in the fridge for a few weeks. Theres alot of people that do that on the forum. Another idea that could work you could out him if the sitation gets bad and I might have to try in summer is an esky cooler like the one you use for drinks and then put cool water in there and leave him in a cool dark spot in there with the lid partially open , Im not sure if its a good idea but sounds ok to me.

Hi zolotl,

Ok thanks its settled at 21c will he be fine in this?

The shop i bought him from was hotter than this and he was in the same tanks as the tropical fish at 26c and he looked fine but his gills were curled forward but now theyre pointing back so he seems fine and more happy than in that tiny tank with them danios in the shop here are some pics of him :)

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 317
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 332
  • DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
I dont think temperatures over 22 are probably good in the long run as I had a massive die off my axies a couple years ago in the summer including the babies because they developed fungal infections of the gills and body, but then again we have temperatures over 30 degrees celcius for several weeks in summer and even over 40 degrees so I dont think your that bad off as we were.

I think that guy in the stores a bit of an idiot to keep them with tropical fish its well known there a cold water species like goldfish. Heres a good site too if you want some more info on lotls http://www.ambystoma.org/AGSC/guide.htm these guys breed them for research institutes and for pets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back