NewGuy

NewGuy

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
Aloha!

This place is great! Lot's of good info and (my favorite part) pictures of setups! :smile:

I had a pair of Oregon Newts when I was in college... I remember being mildly obsessed with creating awesome habitats for them when not distracted by the other things college kids get distracted with. When I look at all the information on here I realize that I could have done a lot more with them. I never had the courage to try live plants - and I could never keep the water clear - though I suspect after reading numerous posts on here that it was caused from "tanins" leeching from the driftwood I had in the water!

I hope to get a new "tank" (apparently you guys call them terrariums and vivriums???) and a couple of Oregon Newts when I move to Hawaii.

My only hope is that they actually HAVE Oregon Newts in Hawaii - they are pretty strict with introduction of plants and animals :rolleyes:

Keep sending in pictures of setups! They are inspiring!

Welcome to the forum.

What happens to your account when your not a newguy?.

-Collin

:eek:

Hadn't thought of that...

My only hope is that they actually HAVE Oregon Newts in Hawaii - they are pretty strict with introduction of plants and animals :rolleyes:

You are quite right about being strict on importing animals from the mainland to Hawaii. Many species are not allowed on the islands under any circumstances. The good news is its seems to be that Taricha torosa are an approved animal to have on the island. But I think you will be hard pressed to find one on the island (that someone is willing to get up anyways). I think it is safe to assume that it would still have to pass strict inspection and approval before being able to bring it in and keep it. I found this info straight off the Hawaii Department of Agriculture (.gov) website. I posted a link below on where I got the info.

Check in List of Conditional Approved Animals
http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/pi/pq/lists
http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/pi/pq/import

I justed visited Hawaii a couple of weeks back, what a beautiful place to live. I am quite jealous!

Welcome to the forum!

Mitch

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back