Question: Newts started to float after breeding

A

achiinto

I have some Spanish ribbed newts and they have started mating 2 weeks ago. Now when it seems like their mating halted, they started to spend a lot of time near the water surface. They get close to the vegetable at the top and have their head out of the water. It might be due to the warmer temperature in the summer and I have just installed a fan on the tank. But I also wonder if this might be a natural urge for the newt to seek lower water level after breeding. The water level now is currently 35 cm -40cm high.

I might have to correct that they might not be floating but just hanging on to the plants. When they are disturbed, they will still swim back to the bottom. But also swim back up very soon after.

Or is it possible that the added number of eggs is consuming more oxygen in the tank that they started breathing out of the surface.

What do you think? Any suggestion?

P.S.- Btw, the newt that laid all these eggs was the one I previously reported as being bloated half a year ago. It was still due to some reason that caused it to bloat. And through the 6 months, she has been isolated in a cool small container with frequent water change. When she was no longer bloated, she started eating again. I have then reintroduced her to the big tank. Perhaps that triggered her breeding since the increased water level, temperature and the many males waiting for her.

I would guess since they are one of the species that have amplexus, that the female may be heading for the surface to recover oxygen(during the amplexus she may have had to hold her breath) and to try and scape from other males, since they probably are searching on the tank´s floor.
Offering a piece of corck bark or something like that would probably benefit the female.

Just a guess though...

Thanks, but both males and females were staying near the surface as well. When I started feeding them, they all moved back to the bottom to look for food. Unless, they were hungry and just asking for food at the top. :D. I will try to observe more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back