Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How much to feed him?

scrappa

Reaction score
How much should i feel my axolotl???

I feed him bloodworm cubes at the moment but i will buy some mealworms as a treat for him nowern again

I fed him a cube yestrday of bloodworm only to find out the shop i got him from had fed him just 15 minutes before i bought him but he didnt regurgitate so how much bloodworm exactly will he eat a day?

He is 3inches long at the moment and a wild type with red gills even though he is wild type.

Please get back to me.

flan123

Reaction score
I would say at 3 inches, he/she is still quite young so a cube every two days may be enough.

You could also try the odd small live earthworm to stimulate the feeding habits, once every couple of days.

I'm not sure mealworms are suitable as they are quite coarse, but blackworm are a good alternative.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
I wouldn't feed your axolotl mealworms. They have strong jaws that can eat through your axolotls insides. They are also hard for axies to digest as the have a tough external skin.

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
I fed my axies mealworms and never had a problem. They usually are dead from drowning before my axies eat them and the only thing I ever noticed was exoskeletons being passed undigested but not that often. I think they are suitable for a treat and my guys love them.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Fair enough Jadore axolotl, it's good you've had positive experiences and always nice to offer a little variety, but I know I have read a lot on here about mealworms not being suitable. Also I have read that you should crush the head before feeding them to any animal.

scrappa

Reaction score
Thanks you were all very useful i will continue to feed him bloodworms until he grows a bit more.

Then i might give him black-worms and brine-shrimp if this would be suitable for him? My only worry is him not being able to digest the brine-shrimp properly but if this is no problem i will feed him brine-shrimps from when he gets about 8inches maybe?

What foods are suitable at what sizes please enlighten me on this topic :p..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1