Blister

gecko7291

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi,

I'm sorry if you can't understand me very well but i'm french. Ok so i have a big problem one year ago one of my Ambystoma get the red legs but i heal him with a tetracycline treatment and he's fine but now i have an another problem with the other and i search on your site and i think this is a blister and i don't know what i need to do.

PS : I have already seen the thread about this but i didn't find any explanation

please help me :-(
http://img24.**************/i/image221p.jpg/

Attachments

• Image221.jpg
    Image221.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
There are several possible things this could be: blister, parasite, tumor, etc. Thus, it is impossible to tell you what to do. Can you take the animal to a veterinarian for diagnosis?

I don't know any veterinarian who heal that kind of animal... do you think it's risky if I do the same treatment as before with my other ambystoma ? put it alone with tetracycline or it's useless ?

IF it's a blister, you can pierce it, then use tetracycline to prevent infection. But there is no way to say from the photo if it is even a blister.

Hi,

If i do anything is there a chance that this thing disappear ? And if it's a blister how my ambystoma could have get that ? is that possible to identify it with a best photo ?

thank you.

Last edited:
I have no idea what it is, but is there a way that you can take a better photo so we can see it more clearly? At the very least, you should probably isolate this animal away from your other ones, in case it is contagious.

My green anole (reptile) had a growth on it and the skin was opened and a pea sized growth rolled out on a cotton tipped swab (Q-tip). We put a triple antibiotic ointment in there for a while and it healed right up. I can't guarantee that this idea will work for you. I am not sure if I would recommend it, since I have no way of really knowing what it is.

Does your animal seem sick at all or otherwise bothered by it?

Good luck, and please keep us posted!
Critter Mom

Last edited:
I'll take a better photo tomorrow. And no she's seems to be very fine she just ate 12 crickets, it's like she don't feel it at all when she walks.

Did it come on suddenly or take time to build up? Is it solid feeling or mushy? Does she mind if you touch it, or does she seem like you touching that compared to other places may hurt her?

I look forward to seeing the picture.

Thanks all, no it's seems mushy and here's some new photo but there are not very good at all...

Attachments

• Image227.jpg
    Image227.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 225
  • Image226.jpg
    Image226.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Image223.jpg
    Image223.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 219
  • Image224.jpg
    Image224.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 213
  • Image222.jpg
    Image222.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 218
sorry to flood but anyone got any idea ?

Attachments

• SP_A0497.jpg
    SP_A0497.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 217
I am no expert at all, but if it is mushy and not hard and there are no changes in her behavior that would indicate that she is stressed, in pain, or sick, I would think that she is ok and just maybe banged it on something like a bruise or got it pinched in something. I would NOT try to drain it because it will probably just absorb the extra liquid back into her body when it is done healing, and opening it up would make it easier for infection to enter the body. However, there could be a small infection in the body already, but it looks to me like the body is dealing with it ok if it is not getting worse like spreading, changing color, or causing any problems for her. Continue to watch her very closely. Whatever you are doing seems to be working so far. :happy: Just make sure you keep her at the right temperature and her living quarters are clean so she can fight things off. It is important that she is not stressed so she can have a good immune system. It is a very good sign that she is eating through this.

Make sure she is getting enough calcium in her diet by feeding her the right combination of foods for her. You may want to see her care sheet again and look in the food area for specifics. You don't want her to develop leg problems from eating too much phosphorus and not enough calcium. I don't know if you may need to dust her food with a calcium supplement or gut load her food before you feed it to her. There is an area about that too. I don't want to see her get "red leg". You may find that you are fine with what you are doing.

If you would like to have a professional opinion, there are veterinarians on here regularly and they are indicated on the first page where all the people who have been on here in the last 24 hours are listed. They are listed in the color which indicates they are veterinarians. You can ask some of them if you would like. They may know better than I would.

You have a very nice and healthy looking salamander as far as I can tell, and I know you care a lot about her. I truly wish you the best of luck, and hope you keep us updated!

Good luck,
Critter Mom

Last edited:
Thank you it's so nice !

I put her alone with tetracycline in the night there are no changes at all but i wanted to try, and the rest of the time i leave her with only humid paper (i don't know how we say it in english sorry) so it can be clean.
I don't food her with a calcium spplement but i food my crickets with orange etc.. and i know worms are the best food but they don't like it very much. The species i buy is Dendrobeanna venetta.

Bye.

The orange you feed your crickets...is it the Fluker's Orange Slices? What else do you feed the crickets? I am not sure that Fluker's Orange Slices has calcium in it. The one they sell here does not. They have now Fluker's Criket Quencher and it is now Calcium Fortified and it says so on the front label in big letters..unless you get the old ones that are not. It is half the price of the Orange Slices, and it gives them a longer lasting drink because it does not dry up so fast. It looks like yellow Jell-o. There is also Fluker's High Calcium Cricket Diet and it looks like ground up corn. I use both to gut load my crickets because I can buy both for the price of the Orange slices and I am getting twice as much with calcium.

Anyway, you might also want to try frozen or live bloodworms, nightcrawlers, earthworms, and just about any insect you know is not from an area that has any chance of pesticide or insecticide on it. Make sure you read the sheets about your animal first though. You might even try salamander pellets just for something different. Variety is important for a balanced diet.

Sounds like you are doing everything fine though. Using antibiotic may be a good idea. Just use a very small amount and she will probably do better.

No i was just speaking about the orange which is a fruit, but i feed my crickets with apple and other vegetable sometimes. About the worms they don't like it very much even if i try a lot of time.

I have an other question, i got these ambystoma 2 years ago or 3 i don't exactly remember and the person who gave these ambystoma told me he got them 4 years ago and when i saw them they were really small and they are actually always small i thought they will grow up with time but no. I think one must size 16 cm and the other 18 cm. Why are they so tiny ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back