Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Two Questions about FBN

MaDsci

Reaction score
1. When is the best time to feed my FBN, daytime or night time?

2. My newt is starting to lay eggs, and she folds the leaves to wrap her eggs in it. Will this damage the plant?

caudatadude28

Reaction score
1. Evening is good but most newts will eat anytime food is offered

2. I have not used plants. I make plastic egg laying strips. Usually people cut off the leaves with eggs in them though, I think. The reason for doing so is because lots newt parents will eat thier own eggs.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
1. When is the best time to feed my FBN, daytime or night time?
When ever you see fit.

2. My newt is starting to lay eggs, and she folds the leaves to wrap her eggs in it. Will this damage the plant?
This is standard procedure for egg laying in some species. It does not damage the plants per se, however, should you want to raise them up properly, you will need to remove them from the adults tank. This could damage the plants depending on how they are rooted in your tank.

MaDsci

Reaction score
The plants are mostly water wysteria and java moss. Also, should I pour out that red liquid that appears after I thawed the frozen bloodworms?

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
The plants are mostly water wysteria and java moss. Also, should I pour out that red liquid that appears after I thawed the frozen bloodworms?

I usually do. I really don't think its bad but I don't need it in the tank so I don't put it in.

When ever you see fit.

I agree with Johnny, you choose when to feed them. There isn't a specific time that they NEED to be fed. I personally chose afternoon into evening but thats just me and it really isn't consistent. I do have a strict schedule, I keep track of when I feed them and every couple of days (in summer, winter its less) I feed them. As soon as I come up to the tank and start "preparing" the food they eagerly wait!

Mitch

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1