OK...so how difficult is it really?

CharlieBear

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I am having a dilemma. I want to get a new pet, and I like different creatures. I currently have 2 river cooters (turtles) which I love dearly, but I need something new. I would like to get an axolotl but I want to be sure I will have the proper skills to care for it (I am not like some pet owners who go out on a whim and adopt a pet with no knowledge of the animal, which then suffers and dies) I have done the research and understand the necessary living environment and all...but how hard is keeping an axolotl? is it worth investing in, or should I stick with the turtles? any advice would help :)

If you can keep water turtles then you can keep axolotls. The hardest part about keeping them, I think, for most people is just keeping up with the water quality. Obviously since you have water turtles you know how important that is so I see no reason why you would have any troubles or issues with keeping an axolotl or two or ten.;)

Hi CharlieBear and welcome to the Forum!

Compared with many types of aquatic pets, axolotls are quite robust and tolerate a wide range of things like pH and water hardness. In good health, they will even tolerate fluctuations in water quality by giving a sign that something is amiss rather than just dying. I don't mean to imply that it is unimportant to monitor water quality and care for the animal conscientiously and regularly, but once one understands the basic precepts (tank size, water quality, feeding sparingly and appropriately), axolotls are little work and lots of fun. Should you decide to get one (or two, or three...), you also always have the forum to answer any questions that may arise.

Good luck to you,

-Eva

Another thing to remember is they dislike temperatures over the low 20s (celcius) and are cold water loving. If you live in a warm climate this is something you will need to keep in mind and be able to manage in summer times.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back