Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: "Waterdog"?

animus ONE

Reaction score
somebody gave me a "waterdog" for a gift reacently,but after looking around to do some research on them i really didnt find as much info as i was hoping for.actually im not even sure if what i have is even a "waterdog" like i was told,ito me it looks nothing like the pictures that i came across.anybody able to help me out with my search for his true I.D. ?

Attachments

• Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 306

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That´s a larval Ambystoma, most probably A.tigrinum/mavortium(not good with ambystomatids, sorry).
If i´m not mistaken the term "waterdog" is used for members of the Proteidae family, so no, your animal is not a waterdog.

You´ll find tones of informaton about your little guy in this forum and the articles at Caudata Culture.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
'Waterdog' is a generic term they use here in the US for the larval tiger salamanders they sell as bait in tackle shops. As for care, it won't stay that way for long, it will soon undergo metamorphosis and become terrestrial. In the mean time while it is still a larva you will want to use this Axolotl caresheet as they care for each is the same. After it morphs you will then want to use this Tiger Salamander caresheet for the continuation of its care.

EDIT: I'm such a spazz sometimes. I know you weren't asking for advice on care for it and I am not sure why I put that stuff there.

animus ONE

Reaction score
thanks alot everyone its good to know i was looking in the right areas, i really would of hated to have to keep wondering if i was caring for the little guy the best way possible .the was a lot of helpfull info. but im still find myself guessing at what kind of Ambystoma im really lookin at.is there anyway i could narrow it down ?there is a little more sub species than i expected. lol

animus ONE

Reaction score
not sure if this helps at all but here is a couple more pictures of this little guy. sorry abvout the quality of the photos.i guess i should invest in a better camera.huh?lol

Attachments

• Picture 029.jpg
    Picture 029.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 245
  • Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 255
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 246

Nathan

Reaction score
You may have to wait until he develops a pattern to get a more positive ID. Like Azhael said, he's something in the A. tigrinum complex; those flattened fingers are diagnostic. Care should be the same for any of those.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1