Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chytrid

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Use of the forum search function will provide you with more information.

The problem with this fungus is, that by the time you know for sure it is what killed your critter, the critter is already long dead.

Therefore: no reason to treat at home what you cannot identify at home.

Abrahm

Reaction score
To elaborate, I know there are treatments that hobbyists are using but their effectiveness is in doubt. There are many different infections out there that present with very similar symptoms. What looks like chytrid may be a bacterial infection or a less dangerous fungus. The treatments being used may clear the current infection, but that infection may or may not be chytrid. Chytridiomycosis can only be definitively diagnosed by a PCR of a skin swab or by histological sectioning of the skin. The latter is only possibly with dead specimens.

jelkins

Reaction score
Abrham,

Thanks for the detailed information. I've been reading numerous articles on this site as well as many web-based articles. There appears to be prescirption anti-fungal treatments available and used by zoos and various institutions, which obviously aren't what many would consider 'in-house' treatment.

I've come into a batch of tigers and was wondering if I should be concerned regarding treating them for parasites and fungal infections. Again, I'm looking for remedies easily available to the common keeper/breeder. They may all just end up getting a slightly salty bath.

herpvet

Veterinarian
Reaction score
To elaborate, I know there are treatments that hobbyists are using but their effectiveness is in doubt. There are many different infections out there that present with very similar symptoms. What looks like chytrid may be a bacterial infection or a less dangerous fungus. The treatments being used may clear the current infection, but that infection may or may not be chytrid. Chytridiomycosis can only be definitively diagnosed by a PCR of a skin swab or by histological sectioning of the skin. The latter is only possibly with dead specimens.

Hello,

Just to be picky, I would like to point out that skin histology could be done on a skin biopsy carried out (under anaesthesia) on a live animal, although PCR would be the preferred option!

Ideally we should all be testing any new animals acquired, but I realise that costs mean that isn't going to happen in most cases!

Similarly, I would generally advise checking for signs of parasites (at least via faecal examination) before using any precautionary anti-parasitic drugs, and any drugs are best obtained from a vet who can advise on suitability and dose rate.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!