Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Worms from a fishing tackle shop?

bowser

Reaction score
Im getting my new axolotl tomorrow its only a baby but i was wondering when it gets older people say that earth worms are really good food, At fishing tackle shops you can get bait worms (i think they are called chub worms but not sure) you can buy 1KG of these worms for £15 which would probably feed one axolotl for ages but are they any good as a main diet because they are really mass produced, could this mean they dont have much nutrients in them?

I dont think these "chub worms" are earth worms but they are probably very simular

gcollin

Reaction score
Hello bowser.
I have been buying night crawlers (common earth worms) for a couple of weeks now, and my tiger salamander loves them, they are low fat but high in protein, but I am not sure if they would agree with your axolotl (they would likely drown), but it does not hurt to try.

-Collin

p.s I buy mine from a gas station.

Florieke

Reaction score
I buy my worms from a fishing shop as well, but not in those big amounts :D I think that it doesn't really matter where you buy the worms. You can also try to feed the worms to get them a bit more fat. There's special worm food, but you can also give them fish food or crushed sturgeon pellets (can also be used for axolotls).

pinkangel729

Reaction score
I feed my axies worms from a tackle shop, but a tip would be to make sure the worms are washed before putting in the tank as i had a problem with some bugs entering my tank as they were in the mud the worms came in.

Greg31

Reaction score
Worms are a great staple diet(the main diet). You can also feed them other things you can find on the site. Beef Heart is great once and awhile. Its high in fat so it will fatten up your axie which may be good if he is looking skinny, but not as a regular diet.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I prefer to buy my worms by the pound from a worm breeder. I then keep them in bins and feed them myself to be certain what the worms have been eating. Lots of bait shop worms are manure fed. Nightcrawlers are often caught, held, and sold and not raised as much. Right now my worms are getting lots of fresh vegetables, newspaper, and some fish food.

melfly

Reaction score
Depending on how big your baby is you could just dig some worms up.
I am scared of chopping up worms so i find smaller (bitesized) worms for them

I also use frozen bloodworm for mine

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1