Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Will they be ok?

bowser

Reaction score
I have ordered 3 axolotls from a shop that normaly only sells lizards, snakes and spiders but he was the only guy in my area that i could get any from, one of them is for me to go in my 2X1X1 tank and the other two where for my friend to go in her 3X1X1 tank but now she has rescued a turtle which is in her tank and its gona leave me with 3 axies in my small tank for a few days

The tank is not cycled but i was just gona do 20% water changes every day for 2 weeks which i thought would be fiine for one axolotl

am i gona have to do a bigger % water change every day to keep em healthy?

The pet shop cant keep them there as he does not have the equipment as he does not usually stock these types are critters

any advise at all would be a great help

thanks

gcollin

Reaction score
I would suggest a filter if possible.
A small 10 gallon filter (it would work for a little while) is maybe at the most 10$.

-Collin

bowser

Reaction score
I do have a filter in there its a fluval U1, it will be turned down to the lowest setting as to not stress then with a current

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
If it is only for a few days you should be fine. Did you order adults or juveniles? Juveniles would be less cramped and so cause less stress to the axies.

bowser

Reaction score
yes i ordered babies so i dont think overcrowding will be the problem just the waste and amonia build up in the uncycled tank

melfly

Reaction score
I think you'll be absolutely fine.
Just keep on top of the water changes and remove any uneaten food immediately

Dont forget to get us some photos when they arrive!:D

Mel

rnocera

Reaction score
I don't generally recommend chemicals for reducing toxins, but a nice item to have around for emergencies, nurseries & hospital tanks is some zeolite. You can find this in most pet stores, often sold as "Ammo Chips." Zeolite is a naturally occurring mineral that absorbs ammonia from water, preventing it from reaching toxic levels. When you don't have time to cycle a tank, Zeolite works. You'll need a fair amount of it, but pack it into your filter after the mechanical media. I'm not sure if there's room in that Fluval internal or not. I generally end up putting it behind filter cartridges in a HOB, or inside a sponge filter. If there's no space in the filter, take an empty water bottle and poke some holes in the bottom/lower edges of the sides. Then fill it 1/2 to 2/3 the way with zeolite, and pump air into the bottle with an air pump- it makes a cheap little box filter that will pull water over the zeolite.

You DON'T want to use this stuff permanently, as it prevents a true cycle from occurring, and nitrifying bacteria doesn't grow. Like I said, I've generally used it for some type of quarantine or another, but when I have used it on a tank that turned permanent (or at least semi-permanent), I slowly removed zeolite little bits at a time, to give nitrifying bacteria a chance to grow. It makes a cycle tank months instead of the standard 6-8 weeks, but it keeps your animals alive.

You could also try using Prime as a dechlorinator, since it helps reduce toxicity of Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate. However, be cautious, as Prime only works for 24 hours or so, then the ammonia becomes toxic again. Zeolite would be a cheaper option.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire... +1