Surprise Scud find

Greewok

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last year I put some snails and mulm from a tank I was cleaning in a 1 gallon jar. I totally forgot about it till I was going through a box of supplies tonight. When I found the jar it was completely packed with some sort of hair algae and hundreds of tiny scuds. I was shocked, they were thriving in there. Don't know where they came from, but I'll take it! I transferred the contents to a 5 1/2 gallon tank to take a closer look at them. They are pretty neat, some are blue, some are light orange (female with eggs?) and clear. Should make for a nice addition to the food chain if I can keep them going.

I guess forgetting about something actually pays off sometimes.:D I suppose if you continue doing 'nothing' and not harvest too many at a time they'll continue to breed.

I cultured scuds in a similar fashion. I had a daphnia culture going, and it had pretty much died out. I just kind of left it in a 10 gallon tank in my bedroom, no where NEAR the outside or the herp room. I usually dumped waste water into it from the tanks, topping it off whenever it started looking low. I had an airstone in it it too. I have no idea where the scuds came from, but they were prolific. Once I started actually trying to culture them, though, it crashed. *shrug*

Well, I moved the culture to a tub and it is booming now. Every size from as small as you can see, upto about 4mm. They go nuts over frozen bloodworm cubes. I think they can eat a cube faster than my Cynops!

Oh this makes me grumble. I tried to culture scuds (twice!) and never had any luck with them. Lucky strike, Greewok! Are you bubbling the water in the tub, or just still water?

I am bubbling the water, but not too much. I keep the airstone just below the waters surface to not stir everything up. They seem to take a liking to wood, assuming as a food source.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back