Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt food!!

si

Reaction score
Im going to be getting my CFB Newts tomorow i think, and was looking in a tropical store today...

They have frozen cube packs of four types of food: Bloodworms, Brine Shrimp, Daphnia & Mysis.

I know they eat Bloodworms & Brine Shrimp but will they take Daphnia & Mysis?
Thanks! Si:happy:

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Daphnia will probably be too small.

Mysis should be ok but you'll need to check out which kind it is first. If it's Mysis relicta then your good to go on feeding them, as they are a freshwater variety and don't need any rinsing. If they are saltwater mysis, usually Mysidopsis bahia, then they'll probably need to be rinsed first.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
If they are the normal small size Hikari brand Mysis Shrimp they are Mysis relicta. I contacted Hikari USA about this a few years back. I never got a reply on the subject from San Francisco Bay Brand.

si

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, it doesn't state if they are fresh/saltwater types but ive stopped using them for now till i find out to be on the safe side

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!