Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger Salamander Markings

Rikkoshaye

Reaction score
Hello all, I recently acquired three tiger salamander larvae and they're all doing great! This site has helped me a lot in caring for them and feeding them, so thanks to everyone for their informative posts!

Otherwise, I have a fairly simple question. One of my tigers has started morphing, and now his tail fin is almost completely gone and his gills are little more than nubs. However, his coloring is basically the same as it was when he was a larvae. Because I don't know what subspecies he is it's quite possible he's a Gray Tiger Salamander, but I was just wondering, when generally do tiger markings begin to appear? I've tried to search for this answer on google as well as these forums but I've had no luck. Thanks in advance!

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with tigers since they are illegal here but I do have experience with other Ambystomaids and they always seem to start getting their color around the 2 month post morphing mark.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
The coloration will develop as it matures. There is quite a bit of variance between species and individuals. This could take weeks to months depending on the type of animals you have. Since most Ambystomid larvae are very hard to tell apart, it may be some time until you know exactly what you have.

A bit of time spent on Caudata Culture may help you quite a bit. Personally, I have never heard of the common name "Gray Tiger Salamander", however local and regional common names can be extremely confusing.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I have never heard of the common name "Gray Tiger Salamander", however local and regional common names can be extremely confusing.
AKA: Ambystoma mavortium diaboli
Regarding coloration, some tigers particularly Eastern's will continue to change color/patterns throughout their life.

Rikkoshaye

Reaction score
Okay, thanks everyone. I figured this would be the case but hearing it from people who actually know helps quite a bit.

Also, sorry for not using the scientific name for the Gray Tiger Salamander, but I figured the use of "gray" would give you a good enough idea of what they look like. :) (Though sometimes even Gray Tigers have nice coloration, even if others are quite bland. So I guess you just never know!) :)

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
AKA: Ambystoma mavortium diaboli
Regarding coloration, some tigers particularly Eastern's will continue to change color/patterns throughout their life.

Ahah! common names burn me once again.:rolleyes:

Okay, thanks everyone. I figured this would be the case but hearing it from people who actually know helps quite a bit.

Also, sorry for not using the scientific name for the Gray Tiger Salamander, but I figured the use of "gray" would give you a good enough idea of what they look like. :) (Though sometimes even Gray Tigers have nice coloration, even if others are quite bland. So I guess you just never know!) :)
I hope I didn't come off as harsh. I feel your pain with scientific names, especially when you are trying to identify an unknown one. Believe me when I say I had never heard of a spring lizard...

I am jealous you have one, period. What an interesting animal! I sure would enjoy seeing pictures!;) This is not one that is often seen. Then again, pictures will help others give you possible identification!

Rikkoshaye

Reaction score
Oh no, you didn't seem harsh at all, so no worries about that. :) I'm as excited to see what subspecies my tigers turn out to be as you are, so as my little guys develop and gain markings I'll be sure to post pictures. For now all I have are some mid-morph images from a few days ago, but perhaps they'll interest you all anyway, so here you go. (Though Yttrium's gills and tail fin are mostly gone, his markings are still very similar. I assume this will change soon however!)

Attachments

• Yttrium Out.jpg
    Yttrium Out.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 322
  • Yttrium Close.jpg
    Yttrium Close.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 352

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
What a pretty tiger! And omg, I totally geeked out at the name. How nerdy!! I love it! :)

Rikkoshaye

Reaction score
Oh yeah, he has a really geeky name. Since I have three tigers I call them Xenon, Yttrium, and Zinc, or "X, Y, Z" for short. Totally nerdy but I think it's awesome. :D

Rikkoshaye

Reaction score
Just updating with some pictures as my Tiger's markings develop. It looks like he's turning out to be a blotched Tiger (Ambystoma mavortium melanostictum)! Either that or a Gray Tiger (Ambystoma mavortium diaboli); the two colorings are kind of similar so I'm not sure which is more appropriate. :)

Oh, and he doesn't usually hang out in his water bowl but he seemed a little freaked out by the camera so he ended up splashing around in it a bit (as you can tell by how wet he made the surrounding substrate! Wow!)

Anyway, I hope this is interesting for someone other then myself. :)

Attachments

• 103_0672.jpg
    103_0672.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 314
  • 103_0673.jpg
    103_0673.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 395

caudatadude28

Reaction score
I find it interesting and your tiger is very good looking. I had no luck finding tigrinum larvae this year or I would be rearing some too. Its cool to see some.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1