Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Disembowled? cynops cyranus

merk199

Reaction score
My largest c. cyranus larvae is about 4 weeks old today. I noticed today his inners from his chest cavity are hanging out. His gills went from majestic to almost nill. At first I thought he was dead since he was listless so when I removed him he was in a large bucket of water change water and he began to move. Well subsequently he is in a tad cup by himself with some java moss. He seems to be do well except his guts are hanging out. He doesn't seem stressed....Anyways is this a hopeless case or is there a chance he will reabsorb his guts.

Its sad because he is by far the largest...Any advice is appreciated...

gcollin

Reaction score
I am very sorry to hear of this, if i may suggest send a couple of PM's to darkmavrik, Rayson is a brilliant man.

Critter Mom

Reaction score
I don't know anything about that, but I truly wish you the best of luck. That must be quite an experience!

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to one of my axolotl larvae, it was about 3 months old though. Anyways I ended up euthanizing it because it's condition kept detoriating.

herpvet

Veterinarian
Reaction score
My largest c. cyranus larvae is about 4 weeks old today. I noticed today his inners from his chest cavity are hanging out. His gills went from majestic to almost nill. At first I thought he was dead since he was listless so when I removed him he was in a large bucket of water change water and he began to move. Well subsequently he is in a tad cup by himself with some java moss. He seems to be do well except his guts are hanging out. He doesn't seem stressed....Anyways is this a hopeless case or is there a chance he will reabsorb his guts.

Its sad because he is by far the largest...Any advice is appreciated...

Hi,

The obvious, and only advice, is get him to a vet, who would be able to assess properly and if feasible attempt surgical repair. I would say that internal organ hanging out needs to be dealt with, not leave the animal to suffer. I can't imagine any situation where significant true gut prolapse or external herniation has occurred where spontaneous resolution would be any sort of reasonable possibility.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

merk199

Reaction score
Thanks. I am going to look into a vet. The only herp vet around that I know of only does frogs and lizards. I fear the inevitable will happen. I am guessing a bacterial or fungal infection will be next.

merk199

Reaction score
Sadly he passed on before I got home from work. In retrospect I probably should have euthanized immediately. Next time I won't be so hesitant.

vistajpdf

Reaction score
I'm so sorry, Rick. I know what lengths you go to for these animals and I'm sure there wouldn't have been anything you or anyone else could have done to save him.

Dana

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1