Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Trying to breed

saviefav

Reaction score
So I've been trying to breed my axies, even though I realize that it's July, and may not happen. But it is extremely difficult to keep the tank cold, and neither of them are doing much of anything. If I shorten the day by controlling the light, and then lengthen it again, could that possibly work? Should I do this while they are in the tank together? I don't want to stress them out, either.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Huge water changes can trigger breeding. You could do a big water change and throw in some ice. I wouldn't hold out to much hope for summer breeding of axolotls.

saviefav

Reaction score
They're in a pretty big tank already,so I don't know how much room I have to increase the amount of water.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
This may help a little. Mine bred both times when I went away during the summer. To try and keep them cooler in my absence I shut all windows and covered the windows. The first time I came back after a week to eggs and the second was 3 days . So I suspect it was the combination of cooling and being darker.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
With the drop in temperature here in the UK over the last couple of weeks, my male axies have been dropping spermatophores almost daily!

saviefav

Reaction score
This is so interesting. I'm going to try to make a chiller with a fridge and coiled tubing, but they are currently in a soundproof booth with no windows and approximately 14 hours of artificial light per day. Should I shorten the light period? Maybe I'll shorten it for a week, while I make the chiller, and then next week, I'll lengthen it while using the chiller, and hopefully that might work, right?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!