Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi ppl.

RitchieB

Reaction score
Greetings all.

I've been keeping salamanders and newts for years. Over the years ive keptmainly , Red Spotted newts, Japanese Fire Bellied newts (One of which id over 10 years old, although thats to the best of my recolection.), Fire Salamanders, spotted salamanders, Pygmy Marbled Newts, Chinese Emperor Newts, Tiger Salamanders (current). Im currently in the process of building a 3+ foot tank and have yet to decide what is going in. ALthough it seems like it will be Mudskippers (I know its not relevant to this forum but still lol).
Anyway thats that. Hello!

Edit - Also I'm from hertfordshire :).

Last edited:

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Hi there!

I can see the attraction in mudskippers! I saw some recently in an aquarium (like a Seaworld) and I was entranced watching them. They had an area set up like rock pools with water flowing between the rocks, the skippers were constantly on the move! They are such great little creatures.

Anyway, enough of my waffle, welcome to the forum!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I almost got a mudskipper once on the spur of the moment, but held back since I didn't know anything about them. Good thing--can't they get 6 inches long?

Critter Mom

Reaction score
6 inches is not very big, is it?

Anyway, welcome to the forum! I can't wait to see pictures of everything!!

I know, I am bad. I have a practical zoo building here, and yet no pictures. I just got a bearded dragon added today though!:love:

RitchieB

Reaction score
Yeah theyve been on my list fro ages. Saw one in the local pet centre the other week. And was entranced by how it moved. They seem to move in a very odd way, most unlike anything ive seen. Almost as if a person were to move with only their arms lol.

So i went home and set in motion to build a tank for them. But anyway im gonna be putting 3 in a 28 gallon tank. With a half water half sand set up, I might add a glass division to seperate the sand and build a slope out the water but i am unsure as of yet.

Just awaiting the glue (of which i found the note saying i was out and missed the delivery just now grrrr... lol).

Anyway i will at some point upload some photos when my girlfriend gets back of holiday with the camera. : )

This looks like a very usfull and friendly forum, thanks for the welcome!

Edit - Also i think there are two main soecies in the pet trade, one of which gets to those sixes the other smaller. I know one type is the Idian Mudskipper.
Oh also... Does anyone know a good place to aquire for hard to find newts/salamanders in Hertfordshire? Around St.Albans/Watford or perhaps london. Although i know of Crews hill London a closer place would be nice to know of : ).

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1