Important Reading

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
These are for you Field Herpers out there:

First, a close friend of mine from my Navy days was finally accepted into the SEALs. While out on a training operation here stateside he was bitten by a poisonous snake. They were unable to identify the animal. He is slowly recovering in the hospital at the moment in a great deal of pain ("Man, I wish you were here for this one, none of these ^%#^ing idiots know how to handle b*^&%* like this!"). Please, brush up on your snake protocols if you herp in an area where this is an issue! Know your snakes!

Second, make sure you have your paperwork in order. This includes your written permissions from private land owners! Never go out in the field without your permits and licenses. I was detained and thoroughly questioned by the police this morning on my weekly herping run. They thought I was looking for a certain drug that grows wild around here. They in turn called in Fish and Game/DNR to further question me once I convinced them of exactly what I was doing. I was held up for over three hours. The good news here is all of my paperwork was in order and my permissions were verified, as I always get phone numbers on them from my points of contact. It may seem silly to carry around a bunch of paperwork with you, but this beats getting arrested/fined. They actually all paid me compliments about also having digital copies of everything on a spare SD card in my camera bag. This made the process faster for all of us thanks to patrol car computers... Keep in mind a lot of folks have no clue what the hobby is about and may not believe what you tell them at first.

The real problem is the cops want to bring their kids over to see my collection now...:p

Like it Johnny!

Good job you are prepared with all you need, a timely warning for those who are not.

So you going to set out tea and cookies for the visit from the boys in blue?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back