Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Possible mouth infection

That Guy

Reaction score
I've had a 21 year old California Newt that hasn't been able to close its mouth in several weeks. I was very naive to its condition because I've always taken its previous long lasting good health for granted. I've noticed his neck has swollen on the left and right sides and his mouth is half open all the time. It doesn't appear to me that it has lost any weight over these few weeks but he spends all of his time mostly out of the water when he used to spend it under. I've done some research, mostly on this site, that points to something called mouth rot. I also read that some kind of salt solution can help the swelling. Any information or recommendations would be much appreciated. The newt has been by itself in a 10 gallon tank all of it's life and I've added somewhat recently two rocks from my backyard, which I cleaned, and I've been using an external carbon filter. Lastly, this newt is my best buddy and if I lose him I'll be devastated.

Critter Mom

Reaction score
I don't know about mouth rot, but it could be some type of bacterial infection. Did you boil the rocks before you added them to kill off anything on them?

Besides that, has there been anything amiss in the temperature range or water quality lately? Are you doing routine water quality checks? The reason I ask is I am sure being an avid fish keeper that you are doing so, but I was just making sure you had not gone on vacation and broken the routine or something. If you could think of anything that might have left your little guy vulnerable with his immune system, it could be helpful. It may have even been a small cut from prey that got infected with bacteria. It is hard to know for sure without him being tested.

Rather than trying to do the "guess and check" method, you might want to call around and see if there are any veterinarians with amphibian experience in your area. You may get lucky, or you may have to drive an hour or so. They can pinpoint with accuracy with testing what it is, and chart the best method of treatment without any guesswork. The vet would have access to oral antibiotics and the correct dosage if this is the necessary course of treatment.

I sincerely wish you all the best, as that is a long time to have any kind of pet and I know the heartache it is to lose one. It is good you came looking for answers now before it may be too late. Maybe someone else on here will have another suggestion...

Best of luck, and please keep us updated! I hope you can find a vet in your area.
Critter Mom

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!