Food for my babies

groldigger

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey,

I was just wondering whether putting live fish in my tank for my axies to feed on was a good idea. The guy at my local pet shop said it was great because the axies learn to eat live food and the feeder fish also keep my tank relatively clean. I am concerned that they might harm my axolotls or bring unwanted diseases into my tank. If i end up getting them what should i do before i put them in my tank? Also in the event that i have to go away and no one can look after the little guys would it be okay to place a few live fish in there for them to snack on. I figured it was better than leaving pieces of food in the bottom for them to find which would probably rot and destroy my tank (just for the record i was never considering doing that).

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

If you want to use feeder fish then remember to quarantine them for at least 30 days before introducing them to the tank and the best choice for feeders would be guppies or white cloud minnows.

According to a number of sources I've come across, guppies are one of the more nutritious fish. I recently started a breeding colony of guppies. I asked for six feeder guppies at the pet store and was given about twelve :lol: . There are now about 10 fry in there as well (they breed like mad!), so I'd say make sure you have a place/mouth for all the fishies that will likely soon appear! (If you go with guppies) My colony started with two males and about seven females and the ratio seems to work pretty well. Luckily, I have an acquaintance that owns a water turtle to take the the extras.

This is just a random expression of recent experience. :happy:

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back