Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl Not Quite Right

Bessie

Reaction score
I upgraded my axolotls tank to a nice new 40 litre one 4 days ago. I added a nice hiding place for her. As soon as i put her in the tank she seemed much happier instantly, she has a good appetite and is eating around 4 earthworms a day. I have been doing 20% water changes every 2 days. I've reduced the water flow to a minimum and her behaviour looks normal, however despite all this her gills are still not very red, they only have a very slight pink tint to them. I am aware she is still young as she is only 4-5 inches long, would her age affect the colour of her gills?

If anyone could offer me any advice or help id be very glad! (and im sure my axolotl would too)!

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Hello

The gill colour is not necessarily indicative of health - the gills will appear much pinker if your axie has just been eating or moving around - this causes an increased blood flow, which is why the gills are darker. Are you sure that it's not just that when you're checking your axie, she has been lounging around not doing anything? :)

Zoe x

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Bessie,

As long as there is a slight pink tint, thats still pretty normal. The only time i will really start worrying about illness is when there is prolonged generalised pallor. That could be indicative of anaemia.

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
As a side note...this is not necessarily the same with humans....I have a killer tan at present and am still very anaemic! :D

Zoe x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1