Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can Newts Climb Vertically

nagukush

Reaction score
Hi Friends !

Hope all is well and great !

My name is Kush and I'm from India. I've never kept newts before and I'm getting these 6 Fire Bellied newts for the first time.

I'm setting up a Paludarium for the newts that I'm getting. Just wanted to know if Newts can / do climb vertically on glass and other surfaces. I'm asking this to know if I will need a tight fitting hood to prevent any escapes / deaths. Kindly guide me Friends...

Thanks and Regards
Kush

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
Hello and Welcome Kush!

Newts can definitely climb the glass vertically and should not be trusted. Having a tight fitting cover to prevent escapes is a must.

A screen cover is a great option as it allows proper ventilation and keeps your setup a few degrees cooler.

Good luck

Mitch

nagukush

Reaction score
Hi Friends !

Thanks a lot for caring and for kindly guiding me. I guess I'll get a tight fitting hood for them then.

Just wanted to request for one more thing - Can I keep these Crabs with the Fire-Bellied newts ? - http://makemyhobby.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3693

I also can catch a few tiny frogs here locally - Can I keep them with the newts ?

Please guide me Friends. Thanks again for all the care and help.
Regards and Care
Kush

eldaldo

Reaction score
There is actually a very interesting thread on mixing species here http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51896

The general consensus on this forum is not to mix species period. As for the crabs that is a bad idea. Also, I would say not to mix the frogs either. because both the crabs and the frogs have very different care concerns and that is only the beginning of possible problems with mixing them.

Certain things like common snails and certain types of shrimp seem to be pretty common things for people to keep with their newts. I would recommend against even this until you have kept your newts healthy and happy for quite some time and have enough experience to know how they behave when healthy and stress free.

If you read the thread about species mixing you will see just how controversial it is, even between experienced hobbyists. Therefore I would advise against it for a beginner.

nagukush

Reaction score
Hi and Welcome! Please see the links in my sig, especially:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/escape.shtml

Good luck!

Hi there !

Thats a great article - very informative and cleared a lot of doubts. Also gave me lots of Ideas. Thanks a lot again for all the care. This Forum is sure a great place with lots of kind people. Thanks again for all the care, Friends - really grateful.

I guess the first thing I'll have to do is to secure all the openings in the hood and drop the idea of mixing anything with the newts. I guess I still have time as the newts are gonna come only after a week...

Thanks again Friends...
Lots of Regards and Care to all,
Kush

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1