Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Plants for my Newts's Tank

nagukush

Reaction score
Hi Friends !

I'm setting up a paludarium for my Newts and just wanted to request for some guidance on which plants can be suitable for these. I understand that I can use Ferns, Moss and Anubias but I'm looking for some other commonly available plants that grow on the shore line. Something grass like growing between the Rocks, gaps and crevices would be great.

Is there any seed which we use for food (commonly consumed grains) , which I can sow in the gaps between the rocks and aquarium wall etc, so that grass like plants grow out of these gaps ? I've been thinking about paddy - rice plant. I thought i'll sprinkle a few grains randomly on the land are and let the plants grow.. when they get too big, I'll remove the plants and sprinkle a few more seeds ? Kindly guide me if this may work.

Also we commonly get this plant called the money plant here - looks like this - http://ericksonblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/dsc_20211.jpg people here commonly keep them indoors, with the stem inside a common glass bottle (filled with just water) - will this plant work well for my setup ?

I hope my question is not very dumb - sorry if it is.
Kindly help and guide me Friends...
Thanks a lot !
Regards and Care
Kush

Holding2k9

Reaction score
Hi , i am very intrigued to see someone from your country with a love for newts.

personally i could not recommend a suitable plant unless i am clear on your intentions and species.

for example i house 6 Cynops Orientalis (chinese firebellys) and they are currently displaying mating patterns ...

Therefore i have recently purchased 8 different types of plant and situated them in my tank.

i have watched over my colony over the past week and i must admit i am anxious to see if they lay.

Nathan

Reaction score
I believe the rice will be fine. The money plant will be fine, it is commonly used in vivariums (it's called "pothos" here).

I am not familiar with Indian plants, but you can probably find many suitable plants growing along the edges of streams and ponds in your area. Just be sure to collect from areas that are not polluted. Wash the plants thoroughly and remove all soil from the roots before adding to your tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1