Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Maintaining high humidity

nagukush

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

Just wanted to request you friends to kindly guide me on how can I maintain a high humidty level in my newts tank. Are there any simple DIY methods for doing this ?

Kindly guide me Friends...
Thanks again !
Kush

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
Actually your best bet is to keep humidity down. Concerning you are looking into an aquatic species, you will not need high humidity. Keeping the tank ventilated and cool is the goal. The cooler you keep your newts the better.

If you still want some humidity for plants, it is easily obtained by having a tank with water covered by glass and a light on top. You can also mist daily to increase the effect. Anytime the evaporating water is trapped in the tank, humidity will be high. Make sure the bulb you are using is fluorescent as to not increase heat and it is always a good idea to have allow some ventilation.

Mitch

caudatadude28

Reaction score
If these are aquatic newts, maintaining high humidity isnt actually that good. Mold could grow, temps will be higher, and ventilation is very important as stated by Midnight. Also even terrestrial newts dont need that high of humidity. Newts have drier, rougher skin that holds in moisture better than most salamanders and newts can get infections and fungus if kept too moist.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1