Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Midnight12 here, i'm new and need help-fast

midnight12

Reaction score
Hi, my axolotl is in a terrible state:eek:. A friend was looking after my axolotl while I was away for the week, and he didn't feed the axolotls and newts properly, he just let it melt at the bottom of the tank. So when I came back, one of the axolotls has got half a tail and a stripped to the bone arm, and it has fungi on it. He's lost control of his arm and just drags it around, should I get a vet to amputate it??? (vets are sooooo expensive though.:mad:) i'm doing salt baths but he looks worse than ever. :errr:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reaction score
WHat do u think a vets going to do that u cant? if youve got the balls, a very sharp knife and a friend to help you... id try amputating myself (the arm needs to come off, it needs to come off) and if that fails, then euthansia into the freezer. I'd leave the tail alone if its clean and looks like its healing. I've heard low temps like 4 degrees C helps them to heal. Sorry. I think thats your only real option. Hope someone else has a better one, but yeah.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I feel that your 'advise' is ill informed, irresponsible and cruel 222693. If you have no better suggestion, its better to just not give any misleading misinformation. Even your euthanasia protocol of deep freezing is inhumane.

Midnight, Julia is right that fridging will be a good palliative measure. However, your axie will likely require surgical excision, a course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories in order to make a full recovery. The vet will be able to provide proper anaesthesia and analgesia under appropriate sterile conditions to treat your axie. Please do not heed 222693's recommendations as that is not sterile surgical procedure and definitely doesn't take into account analgesia, anaesthesia and supportive treatments like antibiotics and anti-inflammatories.

midnight12

Reaction score
Thanx to everyone, but how long do i put it in the fridge?A long time ago (years) I took my axie to the vets and they looked after him for 3 days, and he came back hardly changed. my point is, is there anything i can do without having to go to the vets.???

dr34mr

Reaction score
Your axie needs to be in the fridge until better, normally a minimum of 3 weeks.

Also is there raw flesh exposed on the arm and tail? i'm not 100% on this, but i would think that salt baths would cause harm on unprotected flesh.

As always, photos are always the best way to get help. Darkmaverick is probably one of the best sources of advice i have encountered, so i'd go with whichever course of action he recommends.

Gothica Lily

Reaction score

Please refer to the knowledge of the senior members such as vets and moderators for guidance. Your post is indeed ill referenced and could have caused some poor axie owner to actually do what you said! And it would be the little critter paying for someones incompitence. Please. We are all here to be able to do best for Axolotls and other animals involved, not put them in danger or have them suffer.

Furthermore, your recommendation would have brought a terrible experience to the caring axie owner if he/she followed them, which would be traumatising.

Please, remember that you are a junior member. All the recommendations are best made using senior members' opinions (e.g. linking relevant links, threads). The senior members are attentive & friendly here. If unsure about something , you can speak to them.

I trust all who read your post felt amazed at how freely you were giving such advise.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1