Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Non axolotl tankmates

woofy

Reaction score
I was going to switch my axolotl's set up to a 55g tank. I was wondering if there are any fish at all that wont pick on tehe axies, maybe top dwelling? Any have non axie tankmates with their axolotls?

Greg31

Reaction score
The big issue is if you dont mind if you axie eats the fish. I have ghost shrimp and they do great and dont really get eaten ( too quick and i keep my axie well fed). Guppies are also a good tank mate but again, they can be eaten. Just in case keep an eye on your axie cause some fish may nip at the gills.

YellaPieSlinger

Reaction score
Anything but cyprinid fish (goldfish and carp) that they can eat. They have an enzyme that causes a vitamin B1 deficiency that would eventually cause health problems. check out fish that produce thiaminase, all others except for diseases they might bring with them are ok.

Ashlie

Reaction score
I'm really naughty, and in my ignorance bought 2 plecos (algea sucking fish) at the same time as i bought my baby axolotl. They all went into the tank together, and were all the same size, and were growing at a similar rate.

The 3 of them lived quite happily together for about 5 months, untill i read that they posess a dangerous defence mechanism, that would kill my axie if she tried to eat them. Although they've grown up together and have never attempted to attack eachother, i thought the responsible action would be to remove the plecos (they now live downstairs in my parents tank).

Guinneviere (my axie) now lives with a varying number of guppies. They make friendly tankmates, and a nice, occasional midnight snack ;) You still need to beware that the guppies dont try to nip at your axie's facinating and oh-so-yummy looking gills.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Folks, please read the sticky that Abrahm provided a link to earlier in this thread before.

This topic is like beating a dead horse. A bit of use of the search function will show that it comes up very often in various forms...

That sticky is the result of input from not only extremely experienced hobbyists, but veterinarians and zoo keepers.

If that does not convince you, memorize the

Rules of Axolotl

#1 If it moves- eat first and ask questions later.

#2 If it does not move, gulp it up and eat it anyway.

#3 If it is smaller than your mouth, eat it. If it is bigger than your mouth, try anyway. This includes other axolotls, their limbs and gills, rocks, fingers, etc.

blip29

Reaction score
thanks mate its a same i cant get any other fish be sides axolotls in my tank because i have e verry big tank thanks for your help :D

coichards

Reaction score
Guinneviere (my axie) now lives with a varying number of guppies. They make friendly tankmates, and a nice, occasional midnight snack ;) You still need to beware that the guppies dont try to nip at your axie's facinating and oh-so-yummy looking gills.

Dont you have to keep guppies at a temp that is much higher than an axies max temp???

Guppies are tropical fish and I keep mine at about 26-27 degrees where as I keep my axie at a temp lower than 18 degrees.
:p:p

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Its true guppies thrive better in warmer waters. At a cooler temperature, guppies tend to become more sluggish but will still survive fine.

Ashlie

Reaction score
In an ideal Guppy world the temp should be much warmer.... But in an ideal axie world, the cool temperature makes the guppies more slow and lethargic... thus, easier to catch for dinner :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1