Is crickets ok for axies?

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Sherri
Hi there, hope you are all well. I have just bought a baby pet lizard (spiny-tailed monitor), and I feed her with medium sized crickets. Would it be ok to feed them to my axies too? I buy them from a petshop. Thanks in advance :)

Hi Sherri,

Crickets are fine for axolotls. Only trouble I have with them (besides opening that box of kicking legs and wiggling antennae) is that crickets float and swim (and jump out of the tank and across the floor and behind the cupboard and...:rolleyes:) - so you will have to feed them by hand or with a tweezers to get them down to the axolotls.

-Eva

Crickets are ok as a treat. They can't be fed as a staple because they need to be dusted with calcium and vitamins once a week, the problem with this is that the supplements will just wash off when the cricket hits the water.

Thanks to you both for your replies. I will give crickets as an occasional treat to my axies,then :)

My axie likes them as a treat. She won't take them from my hand, or from a toothpick (which is the way I normally feed her), so I let them swim around in the tank, and she likes to hunt them - good fun for her, I gather!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back