Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello Everyone

BarTigerSal

Reaction score
Hello my name is Naomi or you can call me by BarTigerSal. I was originally born in Huntingdonshire, Cambridge, England, but because my dad was military we moved here to colorado where I now presently reside. I currently own a Barred Tiger Salamander named Sally, who has also surprisingly laid 28 eggs. I love Tiger Salamanders, they have such character. I actually plan to work as a Zoologist sometime in the future. That inspiration came from the Crocodile Hunter, steve Irwin and my love for animals.:happy:

Critter Mom

Reaction score
Hello Naomi and welcome to the forum! Steve Irwin was a wonderful and inspirational man. I am glad he inspired you to go on and work with animals.

I look forward to hearing more about Sally, and I hope you will post some pictures!

Cheers,:happy:
Critter Mom

BarTigerSal

Reaction score
Well the funny thing is that I rescued sally, who was out in a snow storm and almost frozen to death when I found her. This was back in March; I think. I read that she has the ability to store her mates sperm and then lay fertilized eggs when conditions are right. To tell you the truth I was shocked when I found the eggs.
Steve Irwin is my inspiration and my Idol, in the Zoology field I can pick an area or two to specialize in, I picked Herpetology where you study reptiles and amphibians; I still haven't picked a second area yet.
I will be posting pictures of her as soon as I find my camara. She is beautiful, when the Salamanders are meant to be yellow and back, she has a dark green coloration, then a light green, dark yellow, then the black strips.

BarTigerSal

Reaction score
yeah I kept them, they are in the enclosure with her, should I take them out or leave them, she has been guarding them for the past two days.

BarTigerSal

Reaction score
She for some reason laid them on the land bit, should she have laid them in the water or does it depend ? I don't know much, although I did check this book out at my local library about salamanders and it stated that she can lay her eggs on land.

BarTigerSal

Reaction score
Well I got some bad news, I checked on them and found that they were not fertile after all, but it is strange how she was guarding them though:(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1