Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Caudates/amphibs risk of human infection?

merk199

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any diseases that caudates or amphibians can transmit to humans with compromised immune systems. Reason I ask is I have been diagnosed with a non-Hodgkins lymphoma and want to limit any exposure to disease while I am undergoing chemo. Obviously I will start gloving up when working around the animals, and will wash and santize my hands when completed not that I don't do that already. I am just wondering if I need to take any other precautions besides not getting a mouthful of syphon water, or licking any of the animals....:D

My Dr. is not a herp guy so he just doesn't know what the answer is....So maybe someone here can help.

Thanks

Kerry1968

Reaction score
I'm afraid I can't offer you any answers about transferrable diseases, but I just wanted to wish you well with your treatment and hope you have a speedy recovery.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
The usual herp risk of salmonella is there, but slight when compared to reptiles. There are certain bacteria in aquatic set ups that can be a issue also.

When gloving up, shoot for nitrile gloves with disposable cotton gloves over those. There has been many reports of caudate death after direct contact with rubber/latex gloves. (I suspect sulfur from the manufacturing process is at fault, but it could be other reasons too)

Blaze

Reaction score
As a vet nurse, I have yet to hear of a immune comprimiseable zoonotic disease between amphibian and human but the risk of salmonella. The gloves sound like a good idea.

Sorry to hear the sad news, get well soon =]

merk199

Reaction score
I appreciate all the support. I'm glad to hear I can most likely keep my animals. Even though this is a tough time I am maintaining a positive attitude and will deal with issues accordingly as I encounter them.

Rick

nora

Reaction score
Rick, being immuno-suppressed from medications for five years, I have had the exact questions for my infectious disease doctor. The gloves are a must, so is hand washing/sanitizer use, as everybody has suggested. Also, he told me the terrarium wasn't a problem(except for Sallmonella and Aspergillis(sp?found in soils) but the aquarium setup has greater potential for risk. Lots of bugs that can really cause harm when you are vulnerable. I would suggest you wear a mask when working with a running filter,siphoning,or any wet stuff. I bought some gloves from a large animal vet(probably can find online)that go up to my armpits and that keeps aquarium water from getting onto my skin. Better yet, if you can have somebody to do the cleaning that would be even better during your chemo.
Hope all goes well :happy: and you get well soon.
My critters really kept me smiling during my difficult days of health issues.

merk199

Reaction score
Thanks Nora. I have full arm lenght gloves for the fish tanks. I have always despised working with them, but now I have no choice. There is zero chance my wife will help out :D. But the good news is I am reluctant to ever put my hands in an aquarium because all I ever do is make it worse....

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I got back into keeping critters when my health took a bad turn resulting in an early retirement from the Navy.

I have yet to figure out a way to get my wife to clean aquariums...

Here is a pretty basic article on human aquarium infections, with some references.

And this scientific paper covers the infection I got years ago during my stint as a fishmonger. The source of the infection was traced to the live trout tank we had at the shop. I had cut myself a few days before while skateboarding, and then without thinking started filleting trout.

Hopefully this will give you some things to discuss with your doctor.

Keep your chin up, we are sacrificing a full 2lbs of Spaghetti and talking like pirates all week in your honor. (It is a Pastafarian thing....long story...;))

merk199

Reaction score
Sludge,
Your the inventive man with a plan. Any ideas of how to siphon out shoe boxes with three inches of water using airline tubing. I can not figure out a way to start the siphon without using my mouth. Cleaning the water with a turkey baster is just too labor intensive....appreciate your thoughts...Or anyone's for that matter...

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Sludge,
Your the inventive man with a plan. Any ideas of how to siphon out shoe boxes with three inches of water using airline tubing. I can not figure out a way to start the siphon without using my mouth. Cleaning the water with a turkey baster is just too labor intensive....appreciate your thoughts...Or anyone's for that matter...

Cheap fountain pump! Or even more reliable a pond pump with hose barbs on the inlet and outlets. You can get these pumps and the hose that fits at Home Depot and many other places.. I use a pond pump as it can handle "chunks" better than a fountain pump can. You can get all sorts of fittings to fit these pumps and adapt them for just about any hose size up to 1.5 inches in diameter. Any thing bigger than that and the static head is to much- gravity will over come the pump. Come to think of it, you are in Black Jungle territory, I bet they have this sort of stuff in house too.

Another option is a gas siphon. These are super cheap and can be purchased at many auto parts stores, or from industrial supply houses. An advantage to these is, there are no nasty ness to harm larvae if you accidentally suck one up.

If you have too much trouble finding stuff like this, pm me. I will hillbilly rig you a hands free system.

A third option is the use of those under-gravel filter kits they make for ten gallon tanks. This will collect the garbage in the throw away filter cartridge, easily handled with gloves.

Heck, while I am brainstorming the subject, you could use a section of small diameter PVC and an air stone too! stick two 90 degree elbows together to form a "U". Stick one of the elbows on the PVC pipe. Drill a hole the same diameter as your air line. Run the airline through the hole and out the pipe. Attach an air stone and then pull it up into the pipe 1/4 of the way. Seal around the hole on the elbow with silicone or wax. This one will be slow and gentle, but should work for vacuuming out your tanks too.

merk199

Reaction score
Thanks. I am going to try the pvc idea. I am pretty sure I have a bunch of pvc laying around. I will report back.

Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!