Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Catfish + Axolotls = Argh?

madFrankie

Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

Has anyone had any experience with mixing axies and what's commonly referred to as the 'Sucking Catfish' (pic below)? They're one of the 'algae eater' varieties of catfish.

catfish.jpg

I don't like to mix fish and axolotls - someone ALWAYS gets hurt in my experience and it's just not worth it, however I have some of these guys in my fish tank; they do a fantastic job as a clean-up crew, don't bother the other fish and are so quick that I don't think anyone (me included!) could catch them.
Potentially, I see a problem that they might decide to 'suck' an axolotl, which would definitely NOT be a good thing...

The abundance of plants in my axolotl tank keeps my water conditions tip-top but it would be really useful to have some residents in there that'll keep the driftwood and stones clean. I'm not prepared to put any of these guys in there unless I absolutely know for sure that they won't be a problem to the axies 'cause if they do cause a problem there is no way I'll be able to catch them again once they're in.
Not too fussed if the occasional catfish fell prey to a particularly fast axolotl, though I don't think they'd be able to catch them.

Anyone know about this particular pairing? Experiences? Horror-stories?

Cheers!

ZephAmp

Reaction score
Are you sure of what species you have?
There are two different algae-eating catfish that can sometimes get mixed up;
The otocinclus, which is a peaceful, small, diligent working algae eater that wouldn't harm a fly, and the chinese (I believe they're actually from Taiwan) algae eater, which can get to 4 inches long and can be aggressive.

The otos I would trust with the axies; the chinese algae eaters would not be a good idea.

madFrankie

Reaction score
Cheers ZephAmp, the ones in my fishtank would have to be the otocinclus I'd say. I'm not a fish expert by any means but I've had them for a while and they've not grown much longer than an inch in size and they've never shown any signs of aggression whatsoever.

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
Hey Frank. That is a loach not a cat fish. Gyrinocheilus aymonieri (Sucking loach, Chinese algae eater). They can grow up to 27cm but I have never seen nor owned one over 2 or 3 inches. They may get territorial when they are adults and may need to be separated if there is not room for them to hide away in the tank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrinocheilus

madFrankie

Reaction score
That is a loach not a cat fish.

Hm, gotta love pet shops and incorrectly naming things! Thanks Jadore.

So, my tank is absolutely full of wonderful hiding places for axies and loches alike so I wouldn't think territory would be an issue.
Do you know of any problems with these guys attacking axolotls and trying to feed off their slime or anything like that?

madFrankie

Reaction score
Cheers Blaze, the idea behind the catfish/loaches is as tank cleanup crew. They do a great job of eating all the furry stuff that grows on driftwood etc.

Bettas move significantly slower than these guys but I'm not too concerned if a few become axie-snacks. I'm only worried about whether the loaches will attack the axolotls.

Blaze

Reaction score
My little betta, is a crowtail and is the fastest little fish around and they still got hold of him and it was a deep tank! Just watch out =] you think their cute until they try to eat your fishes =[
My one gave my oldest boy fin rot ARGH!

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
Frank, according to the Wiki link I gave they can attack other tank mates when they become territorial. But as I said I have never seen one over 3 inches and none that I have kept have ever become territorial in my community aquarium but in the off chance that one did grow to 27cm (extremely unlikely in an aquarium) then it may be of some concern with an axie.
OH yeah, these fish also come in a yellow colour often called albino but it is just a different colour morph, not an albino.
Gyrinocheilus%20Aymoniery%20Gold.jpg

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

Has anyone had any experience with mixing axies and what's commonly referred to as the 'Sucking Catfish' (pic below)? They're one of the 'algae eater' varieties of catfish.

catfish.jpg

I don't like to mix fish and axolotls - someone ALWAYS gets hurt in my experience and it's just not worth it, however I have some of these guys in my fish tank; they do a fantastic job as a clean-up crew, don't bother the other fish and are so quick that I don't think anyone (me included!) could catch them.
Potentially, I see a problem that they might decide to 'suck' an axolotl, which would definitely NOT be a good thing...

The abundance of plants in my axolotl tank keeps my water conditions tip-top but it would be really useful to have some residents in there that'll keep the driftwood and stones clean. I'm not prepared to put any of these guys in there unless I absolutely know for sure that they won't be a problem to the axies 'cause if they do cause a problem there is no way I'll be able to catch them again once they're in.
Not too fussed if the occasional catfish fell prey to a particularly fast axolotl, though I don't think they'd be able to catch them.

Anyone know about this particular pairing? Experiences? Horror-stories?

Cheers!

Axolotls love to eat otocinclis! (I speak from early experience.) That is definitely one of the many types/subspecies pictured.

Another problem with otos is they are fish that prefer cold, hard fast moving water- think mountain stream. Some do have dangerous to Ambystomid dorsal barbs...

rnocera

Reaction score
A CAE (Chinese Algae Eater) is a disaster waiting to happen. I've personally seen those things suck slime coats on goldfish in pet stores, and in one of the tanks I clean one sucked the eyes out of a couple goldfish. We had problems with the same thing in the pet store, too. I would NOT put those in with my axies. Absolutely no way.

flan123

Reaction score
Is there an alternative? I mean, I can only see ghost shrimp being suitable tank cleaners living with axies, that is of course until the axie becomes peckish during the night and snaps it up!

Abrahm

Reaction score
Is there an alternative? I mean, I can only see ghost shrimp being suitable tank cleaners living with axies, that is of course until the axie becomes peckish during the night and snaps it up!

Yes, there is an alternative. Algae eating species do not solve your problem. If you have algae an animal will most likely not keep it in check. Monitor your water quality and pay close attention to your water maintenance schedule. Keep in mind all the factors that stimulate algae growth and do what you can to minimize them. Preventing the problem before it can even start is the goal here.

Keeping an aquarium algae free is generally not too difficult. Adding fish or other animals generally makes things more difficult.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
It is best to think with fish that if it has a sucker for a mouth is will suck the skin from you axie. I have see all algae eating fish and catfish attack other fish a rip off scales. So imagine the damage they will do to your axie's skin

scrappa

Reaction score
Hi,

If there will be no territorial issues pakistani loach or clown loach could be better alternatives.

They grow about 4inches like the CAE and are very energetic but mine are scared of my guppys.....

They also have very colourful patterns.

I dont ever think i will mix fish with my axies but if you want to these loaches might be a good alternative for you.

They are very thorough with their algae eating and will not be caught most likely by the axies unless the axies are extremely extremely very fast.

If you have problems you can always catch them easy because when theyre getting chased they go against the glass and slide everywhere.

flan123

Reaction score
Yes, there is an alternative. Algae eating species do not solve your problem. If you have algae an animal will most likely not keep it in check. Monitor your water quality and pay close attention to your water maintenance schedule. Keep in mind all the factors that stimulate algae growth and do what you can to minimize them. Preventing the problem before it can even start is the goal here.

Keeping an aquarium algae free is generally not too difficult. Adding fish or other animals generally makes things more difficult.

Hi Abrahm. I'd just like to clarify that I don't have an algae problem (my tank is optimum at the moment, good water). I was just asking rhetorically. :rolleyes:

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
Hi,

If there will be no territorial issues pakistani loach or clown loach could be better alternatives.

They grow about 4inches like the CAE and are very energetic but mine are scared of my guppys.....

They also have very colourful patterns.

A clown loach can grow up to a foot in length (although very seldom) so where you got 4 inches from I have no idea. The Pakistani loach (yoyo loach) can grow to 6 inches but needs alot of hides and should be kept in a group and as should the clown loaches of three or more. Also both of these species have barbels unlike the CAE and so are not suitable for axies as if they tried to swallow them they may get hurt.

ZephAmp

Reaction score
I would like to note that 1. The chinese algae eater (Gyrinocheilus aymonieri) is NOT a loach, but a catfish. 2. The otocinclus (otocinclus sp.) is a non-aggressive, algae-eating fish that could be suitable as an axie tank cleaner, however I just realized that the temp ranges don't quite overlap.
**EDIT- My bad. :p I've always called them catfish. Irony, huh?

Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Mmmmmm...no they are not....
The genus Gyrinocheilus is part of the family Gyrinocheilidae and the order Cypriniformes which are most definitely not catfish. I don´t know if it´s considered a loach but it is at least related to loaches which are also cypriniformes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1