Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What do we have here?

grius

Reaction score
This two is bought in a swedish pet shop as 0.0.2 A.tigrinum, but what i can see i belive more in mavortium..So please give me opinions what you think.

They look wery healthy too me, activ and have just eat crickets with aptite only 2 days after arrival and are not shy.
SDC10005.jpg

SDC10009.jpg

Both measure around 15cm.

grius

Reaction score
That may be true, i saw that a while after i had post this, perehaps to spotty. But i let this to you guys.

Thanks.

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
I must respectively disagree. In my experience most tigrinum I have seen have usually darker, browner (almost like a dirty yellow) blotches or spots.

These tigers in the pics have more of the short "striping" or banding and the color itself has the more vivid yellow. I would say that you have mavortium.

Here is the link to the care sheet which has several pics of both.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_tigrinum.shtml

I have thoroughly enjoyed my tigers and (like most) would think of them more like puppies instead of salamanders. They willingness to beg and eat is unlike like any other salamander or newt I have seen. When I obtained my (rescued from a window well) they eat for me immediately and I never saw a shy side in them. They literally wait for me to walk by the glass and ran like crazy to me, crawling desperately up the glass to be the first to get fed!

Congrats on the new addition and enjoy!

Mitch

grius

Reaction score
I must respectively disagree. In my experience most tigrinum I have seen have usually darker, browner (almost like a dirty yellow) blotches or spots.

These tigers in the pics have more of the short "striping" or banding and the color itself has the more vivid yellow. I would say that you have mavortium.

Here is the link to the care sheet which has several pics of both.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_tigrinum.shtml

I have thoroughly enjoyed my tigers and (like most) would think of them more like puppies instead of salamanders. They willingness to beg and eat is unlike like any other salamander or newt I have seen. When I obtained my (rescued from a window well) they eat for me immediately and I never saw a shy side in them. They literally wait for me to walk by the glass and ran like crazy to me, crawling desperately up the glass to be the first to get fed!

Congrats on the new addition and enjoy!

Mitch

Hehe, its good with difirent opinions.

As a Tigrinum have a more spotty pattern and like you say often has a more brown colour, and mine have a almost dark colour with hig yellow spots/stripes. What im saying is that i dont have a clue, but as mentioned i belive mor in Mavortium most because of the darkness. Sorry, i notice that you meent the spots(browner (almost like a dirty yellow) i meent the overall colour, i se Tigrinum in a more brown overall boddy.

I Called the pet shop as we speak, so i will get a good package prize for all 4..they have 2left in the shop.

My big one have start to beg for food when i take forward the plastic bag with crickets, he reacts on the rustle sound of curse.

Thank you MIDNIGHT, i will..

Nathan

Reaction score
I too would call it A. mavortium, though I have seen A. tigrinum (especially young ones) with that color scheme. Remember, the division of those two species is fairly recent, so many suppliers still consider them all A. tigrinum.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
One can never take the word of the pet-shop/importer as a guide for the species...for christ shake just look at the whole firebelly businness...
I´d say they are mavortium because despite of the spotted markings, all of them seem to be organized in bands, which is supossedly the distinctive thing about mavortium. Wait for some experienced in ambystomatids though...

grius

Reaction score
I said that to the pet shop about mavortium and they said you might be rigth, we are not totally sure self.

"I´d say they are mavortium because despite of the spotted markings, all of them seem to be organized in bands, which is supossedly the distinctive thing about mavortium. Wait for some experienced in ambystomatids though"

Yes all the 4 look wery similar in pattern.

Question. How big size differens are ok? would 22cm with a 18cm tiger work you think?

grius

Reaction score
Is there any experienced tiger keeper with another thought? i know that it is almost impossible to give a straight answer, but a view is always something. I have plans to put together the new 2 with my first mavortium, as fast they have grown some more. Would that be okey belive?

I measured wrong, he is only 20cm and they around 15cm.

Regards.

Nathan

Reaction score
I think it will depend more on the animals' temperaments then their sizes. I suggest you remove the smaller animals from the cage to feed them, just to be safe.

grius

Reaction score
I think it will depend more on the animals' temperaments then their sizes. I suggest you remove the smaller animals from the cage to feed them, just to be safe.

Thats true, but i mean if i have diferent species like mavortium and tigriunum, even though i dont belive so now. I shall wait a month and then try to put them together, and feed the smaller in a separate tank.

Thanks.

Nathan

Reaction score
I have not kept A. mavortium, but from what I have read there should be no more problems keeping an A. mavortium with an A. tigrinum than with keeping two conspecifics together.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I am unsure as to which type of Tiger this is, but I do think I we have new vivaria build thread in the near future. :D

Nice looking specimen! I am jealous! There is quite a bit of variation in populations in both types. Here in Nebraska for instance, A. tigrinum supposedly has at least 6 different patterns depending on the source location. I have seen tigrnum from South Dakota that look very different from their Nebraska brethren only a few miles away.

grius

Reaction score
I am unsure as to which type of Tiger this is, but I do think I we have new vivaria build thread in the near future. :D

Nice looking specimen! I am jealous! There is quite a bit of variation in populations in both types. Here in Nebraska for instance, A. tigrinum supposedly has at least 6 different patterns depending on the source location. I have seen tigrnum from South Dakota that look very different from their Nebraska brethren only a few miles away.

Dont give me any ides now:D i have allready spent to much money on my projects! but yes your right, i have some plans, simpel once fortunally;) Im trying to get more tigers so i get a group, and i have a friend(salamander guru) here in sweden how keep all species you can imagine, so i hope he want to sell me some.

Thank you! Oyes i know, it is a difficult task to guess rigth about the species. I must ask, is there any chance for you to photo some and post here? i would really like to see some wild tigers form you country.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I have two that look exactly like them and they are A. mavortium. They look plenty developed to me and those markings will not change. Im 99% sure that is what they are. 1% left for them being a intergrade. Even then I would call them A.mavortium. Nice animals good luck with them

grius

Reaction score
This is 100% A.mavortium, only what i think. My larger one with 5 big crickets in his stomach: )
SDC10012.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!