Axle turning pinker in the Fridge

Sasafire

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Axle just wasn't acting right, (he a is a leucistic axolotl, I don't know how old but from what I read he is reached maturity because his toes have black tips) he quit eating, he was floating and his cloaca seemed swollen. So I read up and it sounded like fridging him was the best option. So I got 2 container and filled them full of water and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours. Checked the water temp. and it was about 6.5. I was about ready to put Axle in the fridge when I realized that would have been an awful shock!!!! So I let the one container warm up to the temp of the tank, then transfered him.

So it has been 3 days now and he seems to be doing great. I've changed the water every 24 hours, with pre-chilled de-chlorinated water. He has had one nice big poop and the swelling seems to has gone down some. He still isn't eating, (but I've read that is normal with fridging?) but my main concern is that he is quite pink. I'm thinking it is from the chilly temperature but I was wondering if this is normal. If it is great if it's not what am I doing wrong?

Hi sasafire,

Could you post a photo? In many cases, leucistic axies appear pinker upon fridging because blood circulation is shunted to the body part that requires healing and regeneration. For example with constipation/impaction, more blood will be carried to the alimentary tract and around the cloacal. The hind leg region, tail and cloaca can look very pink as a result. However, this is normal and should subside as the axie gets better.

I'm trying to get a photo up loaded, but I'm having a lot of difficulties. As soon as I get it figured out I will definitely post one.

In the mean time, thanks for alleviating some of my concerns.

yeah! I think that I got the picture uploaded. It's a small picture, and not the best, but you can see that it is quite pink around the rib area, and that he has lost wright in the last week.

Attachments

• axle.jpg
    axle.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 223
Still small pictures, but here are 2 more

Attachments

• axle2.jpg
    axle2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 192
  • axle 2.jpg
    axle 2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 245
Your axie will be fine. Just continue with your fridging. Be sure to offer some yummy nutritious food as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back