Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

PH Problems

S and S

Reaction score
Hi,

We are having issues with our pH. It doesn't seem to stay stable and is always too acidic. Our water temp is constant and we do adjust the pH, almost daily at the moment, to keep it neutral. I don't want our two axies getting too stressed out! They are looking good and eating well too......and suggestions??

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi S and S,

What is the pH range fluctuating from? (6-7?)

Axies can tolerate pHs from 6.5-8 but i agree its a good idea to stabalise the pH and identify the cause of the acidity.

How is the water chemistry? Excess nitrogenous wastes can lower pH.

Has the tank been well cycled?

Do you have driftwood or dried leaves in the tank? These can leach acidic tannins (tanic acid) into the water.

Cheers.

S and S

Reaction score
Thanks for speedy reply!!

Our tank is well cycled, they have been in it for about 12 weeks now and was cycled for 4 weeks before that. The chemistry is good. It has only been the last few weeks it has been down. The pH ranges from 6.2 - 7.4.

We don't have any plant material in the tank. About 8 days ago one of our axies looked very ill but has come right now. That's when I first realised that the pH was all over the place! I have since been testing the water daily. I just don't know what would be causing it????

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Hi,

...and we do adjust the pH, almost daily at the moment, to keep it neutral...

What are you using to adjust pH? Are you adjusting up or down? or both?:eek:

Axolotls do just fine in the 6.5 to 7.5 pH range. There is no need to try and keep it perfectly neutral. In fact, constant pH adjustment with animals in the tank is very, very stressful to them.

pH adjustment is a very tricky thing to do, I generally do not recommend it. Once you chemically adjust the pH, it becomes an ongoing cycle that exponentially cascades to trouble. It can variate wildly out of control. I would suggest stopping any pH adjustments and begin a regimen of regular 20% water changes.

If your tap water is on the extreme ends of the scale (5 or lower 8.5 or higher), I would adjust the pH before adding it to the tank. This pH adjusted water should age at least 24 hours (more is better) and be retested. If it is stable, then add it to the tank, after removing the same amount of tank water.

Truthfully though, in the long run, it is cheaper to buy spring water than purchasing all those chemicals;) and put all those hours of work into tap water.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using pH up and down chemicals?? They should be avoided, they cause much more harm in the long run and seriously complicate maintenance of the tank. If you did use pH up and down chemicals, i think the best thing to do is to 'dilute' them out by performing frequent small water changes (10-20%).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!