Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Morphing dicamptodon ?

deezy215

Reaction score
Ok, I currently have 8 dicamptodons. My large guy named Fred I caught fishing for cutties and nursed to health years ago, and is housed alone. I also have another large one I caught about a year ago housed alone, 2 aggressive medium housed each alone, 2 medium dicamptodons that have always been peaceful housed together, and 2 small ones housed together with no problems.
I have always given these guys lots of room because they are VERY aggressive. Yesterday I noticed that in my medium peceful tank with the 2 housed together one of them was on his side, floating. I inspected him he was breathing fine, but had a white circle on the bottom of his throat.
I became very worried and observed him for what seemed hours. He was trying to swim to the bottom, and could not, for some reason. He would get half way down and would struggle while he floated back to the top. He did this for hours. Then he started wanting to rest at the top on objects (none have ever done this). His normally peaceful tankmate started picking on him ? So I then moved him to a small tank in which I can observe him. I put the same water (freshened up) and alot of objects and floating wood in it. He climbed right up the wood gradually and started blowing bubbles. They have been all around him. He is now currently hanging out, fully out the water except his head, shifting around every few minutes. He is breathing and looking fine. I have been video recording him every few hours since this morning, when it occurred to me that he may be morphing. I am documenting him and this strange activity. I think he is morphing to terrestrial ? But I dont know. PLEASE HELP. I will try to post some pics of him.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1