Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Fluffy looking toe, fungus?

stardust

Reaction score
Had Mr Happy now about 9 months, everything has been tickety boo up until today. We just got back from a week in Wales and my Mum had been coming in to feed Mr Happy whilst we were gone.
I fed him today and one of his toes looks like it has cotton wool on the end. I've no idea how you treat fungal infections in Axolotls but I read something about salt baths. Any advice and help greatly recieved.
Kirsty :(

stardust

Reaction score
Here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_7619.jpg
    IMG_7619.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 2,732
  • IMG_7620.jpg
    IMG_7620.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 844

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Yes it looks like fungus. Luckily only a little amount.

If you salt bath your axie twice a day until the fungus is gone (should only take a couple of days I would imagine, going on my past experience). Then salt bath him once a day for a couple of days to make sure you've got rid of every bit.

I don't think you will need to do anything else at this stage (like fridging) as it's only a little spot of fungus.

Let us know how you get on.

Here is a link which if you scroll to the bottom tells you about salt baths.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63588&highlight=salt+bath

stardust

Reaction score
Ok cool I think I'll try the salt baths. What is the best way of handling axolotls though so I don't damage his skin, plus I don't want to freak him out at all. The link about salt baths say the water should be refridgerated but what temp?:confused:

Kerry1968

Reaction score
As your axie has only a little bit of fungus I wouldn't think it needs to be fridged.

To pick up your axie from the tank use a small plastic container to scoop him in, then put the container next to the one with salt water in (the same temp as tank water) and gently lift him by hand from one to the other. Do the same in reverse to put him back in his tank.

When picking up your axie do it firmly but gently. Try not to hesitate too much as once you 'miss' picking him up, he's likely to freak! If you don't get him first time, don't keep 'chasing' him round the container as it will stress him (and you) out. Just let him calm down and try again.

Good luck with it all.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
With a focal and small region of fungal infection like in this case, i am inclined to use a Q-tip cotton bud to gently dislodge the offending fungal lesion as well while performing the salt baths. Try a rolling inwards technique to 'reel' in bit of the fungus.

Reaction score
I have this exact same problem at the moment. Can I use my large rectangular mesh fish scooper to transfer him from the tank to and from the buckets?? (Yes, they are new, clean and tank exclusive buckets) Don't really want to handle him at all. I have been using this to do water changes etc.... is this what caused the fungus? It's certainly not too warm and all tank parametres were good 2 weeks ago when I got it tested (although I did trust the judgement of the guy at the aquarium shop on that) The pH is stable at around 7.

How can I prevent this happening in the future? I can't help but think that salt water has gotta harm a fresh water animal, but I digress...

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Its a good idea not to handle the axies with your bare hands. Scooping it up in a tub is best. Nets are fine but sometimes they occasionally 'snag' at the gills and can be abrasive to the skin.

Fungus are secondary to an underlying problem, usually related to illness or stress. Poor tank parameters and temperature as well as poor nutrition are the number one cause. Subclinical illnesses can also predispose the axie to fungal infections due to the compromised immunity.

You would have to test your tank parameters at least once a week. I test my cycled tank twice a week routinely. Best to invest in a solution type colourimetric test kit. Find out the exact levels of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates in the tank. Do you have a thermometer in your tank to get the temperature? What diet are you feeding the axie?

Salt baths are harmful long term. However, they are relatively safe if used appropriately. All salt bath sessions should be about 10 min and not exceed 15min.

Reaction score
Yes, the temprature has been pretty stable over winter - ranging from 14 to 18- it's currently 17 degrees. I've been feeding them 'fish dinner' which is like frozen cubes of mixed seafoods, and occassionally freeze dried tubifex cubes, but they don't really take to them and I've heard theyre not very nutritious, so I will probably throw the rest of those out. Yes, I need to invest in a kit, but my advice has been to get it tested at the aquarium place once a fortnight and check my pH using litmus paper after doing the weekly tank maintenance. The pH has been very consistent, and haven't had any problems until now. They're otherwise healthy and happy I think. Might try digging up some earthworms for them soon. Theres no poisonous species or anything??

Oro keeps his face out of the water in the salt bath. Must suck not having eyelids. Poor fella get better soon!!

Reaction score
Also, is this contagious and should I subject my other axxie, Axle, to the same treatment prophylactically? He has no obvious signs, but reading horror stories about gills being lost overnight make me want to bathe him too!

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Nutrition wise, there is a problem as you correctly identified. Seafood cubes are ok as an occasional snack but not as a staple. Freeze dried foods are also not nutritious. It is best to stick to live earthworms and blackworms. They are readily available from most aquarium shops although you can still dig for earthworms in your garden. Red wrigglers can emit a foul substance that deter some axies, however, many axies can be coaxed over time to accept them. Nightcrawlers are readily accepted. You can pre soak the worms in some water before offering your axie. That would help purge toxins that can come from sources like fertilisers and pesticides.

A solution test kit is still the best. Dip sticks are inaccurate and are frankly quite useless. They have low sensitivity (and specificity too!) such that by the time they detect a reading, its time to prepare a bodybag.

Unlike antibiotics, salt baths cannot be used prophylactically. Salt baths on healthy axie skin actually traumatises them unncessarily.

Reaction score
Thanks Rayson
I googled how to catch earthworms, followed the instructions. Alas there are no worms around here atm, which is odd because I know for sure there were last summer. Do they die in winter or something???

Reaction score
Also, I salt bathed twice yesterday and it looks exactly the same! How long should I go on before I try something else? It stresses me out so much taking him in and out of the tank!! I always think he's gonna end up on the floor. lol. thanks.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Salt baths should be carried out for a week before visible improvements can be seen. Its best to fridge your axie in a tub during this period to minimise transport for salt baths.

Reaction score
Help !
The fungus has reduced but almost all of the toe is gone.

I've also noticed 2 or three patches of the substrate that have 'pyramids' of a strange white gooey/fluffy stuff with a smaller and whiter blob of stuff on top of it. Tank mushrooms? Axy sperms? What do I do????? I only just siphoned out 30% water and cleaned stuff 2 days ago! !

arrrrrrrrrr and it was all going so well.

Reaction score
photos..... it's really bad at close-ups.....

Attachments

• fungus on rock 1.jpg
    fungus on rock 1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 742
  • fungus on rock 2.JPG
    fungus on rock 2.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 725
  • fungus on toe 1.jpg
    fungus on toe 1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 526

Reaction score
phew, i was hoping it would be. Thanks alot.
Go boys! Sorry but girls are strictly forbidden! : )

also, i might add that the sensitivity of the test was 0ppm - 0.25ppm - 0.5ppm and up on that scale, for each of them. Is this accurate?

Catbeanie

Reaction score
Thanks Rayson
I googled how to catch earthworms, followed the instructions. Alas there are no worms around here atm, which is odd because I know for sure there were last summer. Do they die in winter or something???

I am in Geelong, Victoria and have axies too. I also have a small worm farm in my backyard that eat our food scraps (so no chemicals, fertilisers etc). If you are local in my area you could come and fish out your own worms or if not I could post you a tub of worms for your sick axie - please email me privately at genway@pipeline.com.au

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1