Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Feeding home-dug worms

esoteric

Reaction score
Hi Y'all

After recently reading a post in this forum, I'm a little worried that I might be over feeding my axies. Mike (17cm) and Kylie (15cm) usually get a decent sized worm each day, perhaps 7cm to 10cm in length and between 5mm and 8mm in diameter. They also usually get 3 to 5 pellets in the evening. Sometimes the pellets are substituted with half a cube of frozen bloodworm between them. My 6 month old "little ones", Gilbit (10.5cm) and Blade (12cm), tend to eat 3 or 4 small worms per day, about 4cm to 5cm long and about 2mm or 3mm in diameter. They also get a couple of pellets each and occasionally half a frozen bloodworm cube between them.

What do people think? My axies are lively, curious, always hungry (as soon as I go near the tank they are up on their back legs in anticipation and they all positively rip the worms out of my fingers) They certainly don't look fat, going by gallery pictures and using the "body no wider than head" method. They are however growing at a phenominal rate and they are very, very messy, leaving unbelievably huge amounts of poo to be cleaned up throughout the day.

I would very much value your comments and/or advice.

Ron.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
I think that you could reduce the amount the larger ones are getting, but if they are not looking overweight I don't think you need to.

At 17cm I would say every 2 or 3 days would be fine, but I wouldn't worry too much. The only downside, as you've mentioned is the amount of 'waste' in the tank!

The little ones, I think, are still at the age/size where they need food more regularly.

If all your axies are hungry, happy and healthy, then don't worry about what is quoted as the 'norm' for feeding, go with what works for you, just keep an eye on their ever-expanding girth!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Kerry. Whilst its warmer my guys seem to think they are starving, I tend to feed them every 3 or so days a worm or slug each. In between they get a few pellets. Generally though I tend to keep an eye on their girth..

Greg31

Reaction score
From what I have heard, and some experience, axies will eat until they; for the lack of a better work; puke. They will eat anything you put infront of them.

blabberwort

Reaction score
From what I have heard, and some experience, axies will eat until they; for the lack of a better work; puke. They will eat anything you put infront of them.

I feed mine daily (theyre still littlys really) and I can honestly say that I know when theyve had enough. I can wiggle a piece of worm in front their faces yet once they've had enough they wont eat any more. The worms could have a neon sign on with the words "eat me" written on it, whilst tap dancing with a hat in front of them but they still wouldnt be tempted lol. They nose around at the tweezers but wont attempt to touch the food once theyre full.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1