Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Outdoor anole enclosure

fishkeeper

Reaction score
So after being fascinated by the concept of outdoor enclosures, and particularly how they can allow in wild food I built a prototype for green anoles. They were by far the worst species I could have chosen cause the darned things can fit into the tiniest crevices!

LWH 2 x 2 x 4 with PVC frame. Windowscreen and hardware cloth twist tied to frame and also sealed using Loctite adhesive and Polyseamseal caulking. Wooden frame around Lexan door with lock. Won't bet on it being escape proof yet...haha. I have planted sweet pepper, strawberry offsets, and an unknown vine under it to grow up into the cage and provide much needed foliage. Whole thing sits on several concrete slabs that hopefully will keep the anoles from slipping out from the bottom. I dunno what I will do when they start to lay eggs...guess I will remove those in a seperate tiny screen enclosure if I wish to raise babies. ATM one male and 3 females.

Comments or critique?
Picture071.jpg

Picture069.jpg

Picture075.jpg

Male drinking water off hardware cloth side
Picture068.jpg

Picture067.jpg

Picture066.jpg

fishkeeper

Reaction score
No one has any comments? Last I heard everyone is still inside so perhaps I finally anole proofed it.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I built a similar set up for my Jackson's Chameleons when I lived in California. Ever since I was a kid I wanted to build such a set up for anoles, I just never lived in a cliamte that would make it worth while long enough!

This is great DIY outdoor enclosure!

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Where in CA did you live? I've been told that Jacksons and veileds can work outdoors all year in certain climates. I think are summers are too hot for Jacksons however.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
San Diego! The coastal part of San Diego county actually has introduced wild populations of Jackson's and Dwarf Jackson's. Much past 10 miles inland, I agree, gets a bit too warm and dry during the day in Summer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1