Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Keeping Tank or Changing it

Syrth

Reaction score
Hey guys,

**EDIT** I've decided to change my tank for a bigger one thanks to a few members here **EDIT**

Here are my next questions

Any advice on the type of filter I should get?
Should I bother getting sand or should I keep the bottom empty to avoid eating of non goodness?
Are plants good for axolotl? Petshop told me not to bother but I rather trust you guys

Thanks alot!

mantighoul

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
If you know how to do live plants in an aquarium, i highly suggest it. Aesthetically it is beautiful, but also a bit practical. Plants help keep the water chemistry and biology pretty nice. Live plants compete with algae, so can be done to help prevent outbreaks. Plants also release oxygen and create areas to hide in. I keep plants with my axolots. I lean towards cool water rooted plants and mosses. Fixing aquatic mosses, like java moss to logs/driftwood can look very striking in a few months. As for rooted plants, I love Vallisneria. With Vals, I tend to have sand bottom. Very rarely will they get up rooted. i did get some free Cryptocoryne that did ok. If you do live plants, i suggest a light.

If you want to keep bare-bottom, I suggest getting some driftwood/rocks/pots you can tie aquatic mosses to. It will be easier to clean than sand, and you can get the benefits of live plants in your aquarium. it will make your bare bottom tank look a bit livelier. You can also weigh down some plants like hornwort with rocks in your bare bottom tank. Axolotl may bump the rocks around and release the hornwort. it will float and the like to hide out in the floating masses. There are ways to have a nice planted cool water tank without substrate.

As for filters, I suggest a canister filter.

Good luck!

philbaker76

Reaction score
I have bare bottom and hornwort (mainly) in with mine; I use sponge filters some and home made (canister like) filters in others (I'll post more info on these at a later date).

Syrth

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the links and great advice, when I get home i'll thorouly read everything and write down what I should get. My poor axy needs a salt bath and be treated so i;ll have time to set everything up after shopping on sunday.

When it comes to PH, Nitrite and Nitrate and other levels. I know 7.5 is the ideal for the PH but what about the other ones? I didnt find anything which told me what level they should be. I'll be testing my tank tonight.

I'm still debating sand or not, is it easy to clean? I want the best for my axy.
What type of lighting do I need for plants if I go with cool water ones that you suggested? I do nkow they dont have eyelids so I wouldnt wanna blind the fella.

I also want to add rocks to his habitat, what type would you suggest would be the best for him and to keep the PH and plantlife stabilized?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
In a well cycled tank, you should aim for 0 ammonia and nitrites and less than 60 nitrates.

Syrth

Reaction score
Thanks and final question. Sunday I am getting the new tank along with plantlife and rocks and a new filter. How long should I wait till putting my axy into the new tank?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It really depends on how soon your tank cycles. I would recommend you perform regular water parameter checks and write down the changes in a notebook. Once you see the parameters are ideal, thats the time to put the axie in. Some members have tried cycling the tank with a single axie (especially a big tank) without prior cycling, but thats best left to the more experienced members.

Syrth

Reaction score
I got my 30 gallon tank and was filling it up. Cat was curious and jumped right in the tank! It was funny and i fished all the fur out, I'm just glad the axolotl wasn't in there.

I got a filter called Marineland Bio-Wheel Power Filter Penguin 200. It can clean up to 50gallons.

Where should I place the filter, towards the extremities or towards the middle?

A light was included with the canister I bought and its called an eclipse fluorescent light. I have no idea how strong it is since the box isn't telling. Is it equivalent to a 40w like it was recommended for the lighting of the tank?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1