New on here and to this

bbgirl4life3106

Reaction score
Country
Canada
hi everyone out there, my name is sharon, I am a first time slamander aowner, and I joined this website for tips, help, and too meet people that have the same interests as me. I am from newmarket, ont canada. I would really like a tiger salamder, or a fire salamder. I bought a tiger on the 19th, but he didn't survive the night(when I bought him the store told me they didn't think he was healthy) but I wanted to try anyway. what is everyones opinion i would like a salamander that is teresstrial and that can live on eco earth, kinda bedding. what would you reccomend for a first time owner. look forward to hearing from you all.
Sharon:happy:

Hi Sharon,

Welcome! Try a specie that is not to difficult to keep. Maybe its better to start with a aquatic specie, like axolotl or a Triturus. They are easier to keep and you see them more frequently.

Welcome to the forum Sharon!

I would definitely recommend the tiger salamander to start out with. They are bold, hardy, and great eaters. Here is a caresheet on tiger salamanders to help you out.

Hopefully you'll have better luck with your next one, sounds like the one you recently purchased was seriously ill before you even looked at it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back