My little vevenga.

Pauly

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey everyone ! My partner and I recently purchased our first axolotl! Its name is vevenga..

I just wanted to find out from the pros what you think about my current tank set up & what I could do to improve it !

His currently in a 45 cm x 14.5 cm tank with a filer & airpump, his about 16 cm long from head to tail.. Do you think the tank is big enough ?

Also im running a bluelight over the tank so its not too bright in there for him.. I was told there not that big on bright lights. Was this a good move ?

I had small pebbles although I read on the forum that they could swallow them, so I decided to remove them completely.. I was thinking to put white sand, what are your opinions ?

I had a large number of really small fish in the tank.. 15 to be exact, they seemed like they were annoying him.. I had two goldfish in the tank with him also I removed them after reading they may snap at his gills. Was it a wise move removing most of the small fish from his tank ? Theres only two currently still in there..

I was hoping he would actually feed on the small fish.. I dont think he has ate since his in his new home.. Although we have only had him for two days, Im thinking his still settling in.. ?

I also purchased the best driftwood I could find, he seems to like it.. it seems that he was attempting to bend the leafs to create a small enclosure.. he has done quite a good job of it I must say !

Alot of questions ! waiting alot of answers..

Thanks for your time guys..

Firstly, welcome and congratulations on doing your research.

His currently in a 45 cm x 14.5 cm tank with a filer & airpump, his about 16 cm long from head to tail.. Do you think the tank is big enough ?

Yep, fine for one or two, I wouldn't recommend any more than that in that size tank though. The basic rule of thumb is at least roughly one square foot of floor space per adult axie.

Also im running a bluelight over the tank so its not too bright in there for him.. I was told there not that big on bright lights. Was this a good move ?

Yep, fine.

I had small pebbles although I read on the forum that they could swallow them, so I decided to remove them completely.. I was thinking to put white sand, what are your opinions ?

Sand is a good option for substrate - childrens play sand or pool filter sand are cheap and safe options.

I had a large number of really small fish in the tank.. 15 to be exact, they seemed like they were annoying him.. I had two goldfish in the tank with him also I removed them after reading they may snap at his gills. Was it a wise move removing most of the small fish from his tank ? Theres only two currently still in there..

Fish and axolotls are not a good mix. Someone will always get hurt. If it's not the fish biting at the axie's gills it'll be the axie snacking on the fish. Generally, avoid.

I was hoping he would actually feed on the small fish.. I dont think he has ate since his in his new home.. Although we have only had him for two days, Im thinking his still settling in.. ?

If you want to feed an axie live fish, guppies are generally considered the best option as they do not attack the axies.
However, as with anything introduced into your axolotl's tank, you should quarantine them for at least 30 days to rule out diseases and parasites.

Live earthworms are the best food for axolotls, dangling one in front of his nose in a pair of plastic tweezers is likely to attract his attention.

As for what you could do to improve your tank, this should help...

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys, I feel alot at ease..

LOL, look at Franco doing a bit of self-promotion!

Welcome to the forum Pauly :happy:

Zoe x

LOL, look at Franco doing a bit of self-promotion!

Welcome to the forum Pauly :happy:

Zoe x

Hehe thank you, very cute. How old would he be.. his beautiful his gills are very long compared to mine..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back