Hello from Indiana!

Tonyb

Reaction score
Country
United States
hello everyone. my name is tony. im obviously new to caudata. ive been an enthusiast of all amphibians since i was a child. i recently did an overhaul on my backyard and found several frogs! not only for me but for my son as well did i decide to break out some of my old tanks and put together my vivarium to house these lil guys. (pics soon). after the fever had been caught we decided to go ahead and check some other places- ie:crawlspace. as soon as i opened it two frogs and a toad jumped right away. i knew this was going to be good. i had my son, 7, go first simply bc he wanted to. he wasnt down there two seconds before he jumped out screaming 'dad, theres a huge lizard under there'. me being slightly skeptical of his overexcited state, went down myself and wouldnt you know it... a full grown tiger salamander, roughly 8 inches, right around the corner. i didnt even have it in bucket before i saw another one. this one appeared to only be a juvenile but still a good size, about 5 inches. im currently in the process of using my 55gal to build a terrarium for these two, pics soon. all in all, im glad i found a site like this to share my great find and to not only get, but give, some good tips and ideas from fellow enthusiasts!

Welcome to the forum! Your so lucky to have tigers in your crawlspace lol. Here is a careheet on Tigers in case you haven't seen it and need anymore info.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back