Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Do you think this is an infection?

saviefav

Reaction score
P8257683.jpg

scrappa

Reaction score
Hi,

Im pretty sure this is fungi.

As usual wait for davemaverick,kaysie or kerry to answer because im quite new but i believe that this is some sort of fungi.

Check the axolotls arms,legs,toes and back for more of this white fungi.

By looking at the state it looks like a fungi thats not been around long so it hopefully hasnt spread but if it has it will be easy to spot because of your axies colouration.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Do you mean the little white dots on the gills? It's hard to tell, but it may be the start of a fungus.

If you put your axie into a container and gently try to 'brush' off the spots with a cotton bud (q-tip) you might be able to dislodge it. If it doesn't come off, or returns I would salt-bath your axie.

(I actually removed a small spot of fungus on one of my axies with a small, soft paintbrush, it worked for me!)

Keep us updated on how your axie is getting on.

By the way, if you check your water parameters, including temperature, it may be something slightly out that has caused the fungus (if that's what it is).

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm, actually it looks like dead/shedding gill fimbriae tips to me moreso than fungus.

However, i would recommend a single salt bath session (3 flat teaspoonful /litre for 10min) and gently teasing them out if possible. That would be sufficient to rid of the initial stages of any fungus or parasite problem.

If you cannot dislodge them, leave them be. It probably is nothing other than necrotic/shedding gill frimbriae tips.

saviefav

Reaction score
I also saw him (do you think it's a him?) vomiting or having some sort of seizure. Here is a video, it's right at the beginning, although the video is somewhat long, I apologize. Do you have any idea of this might be? Let me know if you can't see it.

saviefav

Reaction score
I think I'll try the q-tip and if that doesn't work, the salt bath. Do you think 100% Holfretters would be okay?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The sudden 'tick' by the axie in the video is quite a common reaction when they are trying to feed, regurgitate or dislodge something in their mouth/gills. I would not worry about it. Its not a seizure. Neurological disorders will present wih incoodination, poor placement of feet, odd postures and persistent odd writhing etc.

Yes the salt solution you mentioned is fine.

Your tank is rather unique in that you house each axie individually. There are many benefits to your housing method but i suggest more hiding places or at least a partial shade (perhaps a cardboard card placed across one side of the tank? Also, what are the pebble like things near the pipe? Its best to remove anything with a potential for ingestion/impaction.

saviefav

Reaction score
Actually, these are in a lab, so they're housed individually, and i think the pebble things are food that he missed when it was dropped in. I would be the first to admit that it probably is not the most enriching environment. The PVC pipe in the tank is meant to be the thing to hide in/under.

I've never seen an axolotl jerking like that, but it's good to know that it's okay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1